Champagne Problems

"I can't believe you're actually going, Layla. I mean, the man's a total douche," exclaimed Kat as she waved her mimosa frantically in the air. 

Kat and Liam had spent the majority of our morning brunch astounded by the fact that I was actually attending my father's wedding. 

Hell, I was still questioning the decision I had made myself. 

A week had passed since that rather unpleasant phone call with my mother, where I had unwillingly agreed to suck it up and go, and the anxiety settling deep in my stomach had yet to dissipate. 

It probably didn't help that the dreaded event was tomorrow. Yup, I had all but one more day to prepare for whatever chaos I was about to endure. 

Hunter had been caught off guard at first when I brought up the idea of us going, but he was quick to jump on board when he saw what must have been sheer desperation in my eyes. This ordeal was certainly not one that I could handle alone - if I could even handle it at all. 

Despite the detestable news that had started off the week, however, the rest of the days that followed had been unexpectedly nice. 

I had a relatively light workload from both school and my internship, which allowed me to have loads of free time to split between Hunter and my friends. Kat, Liam, and I had indulged in quite a few shopping trips and brunch outings, and I got to spend many, many nights with Hunter at both his place and mine. 

He and I also had our fair share of outings, flush with dinner dates and roaming the city. We even indulged in some mundane things that I never thought possible with his lifestyle, like going out to the movies. 

The cartel had been out of sight and mind for the past week, seeming to have drawn back. We hadn't seen or heard from them for a good amount of time, and it was refreshing to be able to enjoy my time with Hunter without constantly looking over my shoulder. 

It was easy to get myself worked up with paranoia over the situation, though. 

Sometimes I would catch myself doubting their actions, questioning why the cartel had been so quick to pull back after the threatening package they had sent. But I also didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, and the break from their menaces had been a breath of fresh air. 

"Earth to Layla..." Kat sang from across the table. 

Realizing I had forgotten to respond, I pulled myself out of my tangled thoughts and threw her an apologetic shrug. "Sorry, I guess I drifted off." 

"Everything okay?" Liam asked reluctantly beside me, his eyebrows knitting together. 

Sighing, I nodded my head, casting them a weary smile. "I just can't believe that I'm going to this stupid wedding either. You're totally right, Kat, the man is an absolute douche, but my mom basically guilted me into agreeing to go. Honestly, I just don't want Hunter to see what an asshole my dad can be." 

That had been a recent fear that developed once I realized that Hunter would have to actually interact with my dad at the wedding. It was embarrassing enough for Hunter to know what a joke of a father my dad was. I didn't want him to have to see it, too. 

Kat's honey eyes gleamed with understanding as she looked at me. "Babe, that should be the least of your worries. From what we've heard, all Hunter cares about is making you happy. If he truly loves you, he won't give a shit about how anyone else behaves or what they think. Families are messy - we can all attest to that. It's nothing to be ashamed about, hun." 

A shaky sigh left my lips at her heartening words. Kat could be incredibly sweet sometimes, and her advice touched me deeply. 

"Thank you, Kat. That means more than you know."