Until The World Itself Ends

"Hi, babe, on my way to the mall right now, see you there!"

The text from Kat pinged on my phone, snatching my attention as I sat in my car dumbfounded, scrutinizing every last inch of the note in my hands.

Glancing at the time, I cursed under my breath when I saw it read 4:45.

Shit. I was supposed to meet up with Kat to go shopping in 15 minutes.

I had completely forgotten about our plans, too caught up with the chilling package I had received not even a half-hour ago.

The package that did a great job at reminding me of just how real this cartel situation was. Of just how naive I was to the fact that these men were everywhere. And they were not holding back.

As scarring as it was to see those images of myself, - to see them capturing my every moment without my awareness - what scared me the most was the images of my family and the message that came with it.

This cartel was fully prepared and capable to take out my loved ones if it meant getting to me. Getting to Hunter.

And I didn't know how to stop it.

How was I going to tell all of this to Hunter? I could already tell he would flip his shit once he saw the package. Once he read the threat.

Once again, I was caught between a rock and a hard place. Right when everything was starting to feel perfect.

Guess I should have known this happy-go-lucky mood we had been in these past few weeks was too good to be true. It sure felt good to pretend this carefree feeling would last.

Letting out a shaky breath, I ran a somewhat steady hand down my face and tried to relax. I could do this, I just needed to take everything one step at a time.

Starting with Kat.

I wanted to cancel our plans, seeing as the information I received was not exactly making me feel social. But the idea of ditching her made me feel awful. We had barely spent any time together lately, and I knew Kat would be crushed if I left her hanging.

And, to be reasonable there wasn't any danger in going to the mall - despite my discomfort. These assholes were following me regardless, and their only concern was the fact that Hunter and I were trying to get information about them.

Sighing under my breath, I decided I would go shopping with Kat, hoping I could make it end as soon as possible.

The sooner the better, because once we were done at the mall, I was heading straight for Hunter's place. This shit needed to be sorted out - pronto.

Shooting Kat a text that I was on my way, I shifted gears and reversed out of the lot. Merging onto the street, I narrowed my eyes when I saw a black SUV trailing behind me in my rearview mirror.

My heart sped up as I tried to see who it was. Was it someone from the cartel? Were they coming to talk more photos of me?

Adjusting my mirror to get a better look, my heart slowed down when I saw who it was. Chuckling under my breath, I shook my head when I realized it was just Bruce in his Cadillac like usual. Duh.

Not like this man hadn't been following me for months. That package sure had me paranoid.

Sending Bruce a friendly wave, I grinned when he nodded back. I felt a little better knowing he would be around while I was out. Knowing that he would be in the area if anything happened.

My grin fell as that last thought crossed my mind. He would be in the area if anything happened. Just like always.

Just like he would have been, an hour ago when someone walked through the front door of my work building and dropped off that package.