A Dream

"Kat, if you get any more sand in my Bronco, I'm gonna kick you out of this car." 

Kat groaned, shooting Liam a mock eye roll from the passenger seat. "Well if you drive any slower, I might just jump out myself." 

I snorted with amusement in the backseat, unable to help myself as I watched Liam's dumbfounded expression in the rearview mirror. 

The two of them had been bickering like kids since we left the beach, where we had spent the day tanning for far too long. 

"There's a cop right behind me," Liam exclaimed. "What do you want me to do?" 

Kat opened her mouth to snap out a retort just as Liam's car hit a speed bump—the sharp movement causing her head to thump against the ceiling of the car. 

I covered my mouth in a desperate attempt to stifle my amusement as Kat yelped in surprise, but I couldn't stop the laugh that escaped my lips at the shocked look on her face. 

Liam followed suit, bursting into laughter as Kat sent him a look of pure scorn. 

"Oh my God," Liam gasped in between his laughter, "I'm so sorry," he forced out, nearly in tears. "Are-are you okay?" 

Kat tried to hold her scowl, but with both me and Liam in tears, she failed, a grin pulling at her lips as she fell into laughter. 

The three of us clutched our stomachs, wiping the tears from our eyes as we fought to catch out breaths. 

"You guys are such idiots," Kat grumbled, rolling her eyes with a grin as Liam leaned over and fluffed her hair. 

"Take It Easy" by The Eagles started playing on the radio, and the three of us gasped, all else forgotten as the vibrant beat and smooth lull echoed through the car. 

Kat turned the volume up, and Liam's hand tapped against the steering wheel as we all sang along to the music, the salty ocean breeze drifting in through the window. 

I gazed out the window, amusement still painting my face as I watched the waves crash against the shore and listened to Kat and Liam try to out-sing each other. 

This summer was going better than I could have dreamed. 

Almost a month had passed since the day that I revealed the truth to Kat and Liam. The day that Hunter and I had finally gotten back together. 

And things had been...incredible.

My weeks were filled with beach days and clubbing with Kat and Liam, and movie nights and dinner dates with Hunter. 

Hell, sometimes I spent my time with all three of them, like last weekend when Hunter came out with us to one of our favorite clubs. 

And, after just one night, I was pretty sure Kat and Liam might just like Hunter better than me. 

Then again, that could have been the fact that Hunter had bought them endless rounds, shoved creepy guys off of me and Kat, and even played wingman for Liam, scoring him some pretty impressive guys. 

Yeah, he had definitely won them over. 

Thinking about these past few weeks alone, it was insane how quickly things had changed. 

Long gone were the days of looking over our shoulders and living in fear. For the first time since we met, Hunter and I didn't have to worry about the cartel. We didn't have to worry about drug runners, kingpins, or anything else that had burdened our past. 

And it felt so damn good. 

Hunter surely hadn't been holding back on making up for the lost time, either.