Confessions

Hunter opened the door to my apartment, motioning for me to go ahead with a soft wink. 

Ignoring the way the small gesture made my heart kick, I slowly walked into my place for the first time since that night, my eyes widening with awe as I looked around the spotless space. "Woah. It looks like nothing ever even happened." 

I continued making my way inside, my gaze tracing the balcony windows that were seamlessly replaced, the smooth, shiny floors. It seemed as good as new.  

Hunter let out a slow breath, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder as he approached me from behind. "And nothing ever will again, Angel." 

My gaze fluttered to his, and I swallowed against the way my heart swelled at his words. 

Nothing ever will again. God, it felt so good to hear. 

Hunter's thumb stroked the bare part of my shoulder, and a flutter kicked in my belly at the graze of his skin against mine. 

His gaze lowered as if he could sense what I felt, his eyes holding mine for a moment, a moment too long, before I turned away, breaking the spell as I stepped forward and pretended to busy myself with checking out the new windows. 

This was how the past few days had gone—Hunter and I in this weird limbo where we both knew we wanted each other - hell, needed each other - but Hunter didn't want to push me, and I had been waiting for the right moment to tell him how I felt. 

I had been spending the past few days at Hunter's place, regaining my strength while he had people fixing up my apartment, seeing as Bruce's little break-in had rendered it in pretty bad condition. 

And while things had begun feeling comfortable between us again, I still hadn't taken that unspoken step. I still hadn't mentioned the painstakingly obvious elephant in the room—which was what the hell all of this meant for us. 

And while I appreciated the fact that Hunter was giving me time to figure everything out, it had also taken every ounce of my control not to jump his freaking bones every time I was around him, every time our eyes met for a fleeting moment. 

Being in close proximity with him for the last few days hadn't exactly helped either. Knowing he was in the room right across from mine, knowing I could give in to my desires if I only took a few steps, opened his door. Knowing he wanted me just as badly as I wanted him. 

It was especially hard to focus when we would cook together. It took me back to when we were together...the soft laughter, small touches, playful glances he would send me as we moved around the kitchen. How his eyes would always hold mine over the kitchen island while we ate as if he was counting down the moments until I was finished so he could have a taste of what he really wanted.

I could still see that look in his gaze. The heated desire softened by the glimpse of affection in his stormy eyes.

I could see it, clear as day, that he knew what he wanted.

He was just waiting for me to say the words. To let him in again.

And I had been running out of excuses. 

But, today...today would be the day.

Now that I had returned home, it was time to finally tell him everything. It was time to finally tell him I was ready. 

And fuck if it didn't make me a nervous wreck. 

"Fancy a cup of coffee?" I voiced, turning around to see him studying me with a knowing look.