Hold Tight

My heart pounded in my chest and I took a wary step back, leaning against the marble counter of the sink.

Hunter stood in front of the door with a predatory gaze. "Don't get all quiet on me now, Angel."

"I don't want to play," I snapped in response to his earlier comment. "I don't want anything to do with you."

He took a step forward. "I never took you for a liar, Layla. I'm pretty sure I just proved how bad you want me a couple of minutes ago."

Asshole. He didn't prove shit.

I glared up at him, maneuvering to the side. "Hunter, I wouldn't want you if my life depended on it."

He tilted his head to the side, challenge sparking in his eyes. "Is that so?" 

I needed to get out of here. Now. That look in his eyes was doing stupid things to my body.

I sprinted for the door, but I didn't even make it three steps before his hands grabbed my waist and I was up in the air.

Hunter spun me around and slammed me onto the edge of the marble counter. My skirt hitched up at the motion, and his heated gaze fell onto my legs.

I moved to shove him but he grabbed my wrists, pinning them behind me as he stepped between my legs.

"Cut it out, Hunter!" I yelled, squirming in his grasp.

The movement caused the front of my body to brush against his, and my breath hitched at the feel of him against me. Hunter's breathing quickened, and I swore you could hear my heart beating in the silence.

He leaned forward, his icy blue eyes peering into my green ones. "I'm going to ignore the fact that you said you don't want me," he whispered, "because you and I both know that's not true."

"I never said I owned you," he continued, "so get that thought out of your stubborn head. I will, however, be watching you, and since my father's men can't always keep an eye on you, I will fill in when need be. So if I decide we are spending time together," he asserted, "we will spend time together."

Frustration overwhelmed me. I hated not being in control, and I was coming to realize that Hunter was one controlling motherfucker.

I cocked an eyebrow, trying to seem cool with indifference. "Fine. You wanna watch me? Go ahead. But if you want to spend time together, it'll be on my terms."

Hunter smirked down at me. "And what, pray tell, are those terms?"

I needed some semblance of control. If he wasn't going to stop watching me, then he could at least cut out the surprises. "No more surprise visits," I declared. "If you need to see me, you can call or shoot me a text, but I don't want to deal with your random pop-ins."

"That's no fun."

I arched my eyebrow further, letting him know I was so not in the mood. 

"As you wish," he murmured cooly.

I tipped my head to the side, deciding to push a little more. "Why do you need to spend time with me anyway?" I questioned slowly.

Couldn't he just keep an eye on me from a distance?

His fingers let go of my wrists and brushed the smooth skin of my thigh, and I jerked at the contact.

"Because, Angel, you are so damn fascinating." 

I tried to ignore his touch as I processed what he said. Was there something more going on? 

Did he...like me?