Broken

What the fuck? 

Those were the only three words ringing through my head as I stared at Hunter, who stood outside of my apartment door with a cocky-as-hell grin on his face as if no time had passed. 

To make the situation even better, Matt stood frozen to the floor, still holding the door open as he gaped at my ex-boyfriend. 

What the hell was Hunter doing here? 

Hunter sent a cocky grin in Matt's direction, but I could've sworn there was a flash of...hostility in his gaze. No, not hostility. Possessiveness

"I believe we've met," Hunter murmured, offering his hand to Matt with mock innocence. 

That was the understatement of the century. As if Hunter hadn't practically traumatized Matt into leaving our date the last time we were together. 

Matt escaped his stupor, slowly shaking Hunter's hand as his eyebrows drew together in confusion. 

You and me both, buddy. 

Hunter released his grip on Matt's hand, sauntering inside as he shut the door behind him, shifting his gaze onto me. 

I stood there speechless, in utter shock as I fought to grasp why the fuck he was here, and what the hell he was doing. 

I wasn't sure if my mind had processed the fact that Hunter was inside my apartment, but I was sure a wave of emotions would come crashing through me anytime soon. I felt the bitter taste of heartache as my gaze remained on him, his presence a reminder of the pain he caused me, and the fact that he was no longer mine. 

Yet, underneath the pain, something else grew inside of me as his heated eyes met mine. 

I hadn't seen him in over a month, and the sight of him now, standing before me with his inked arms, jet-black hair, and those damn eyes that shone with a wicked glint had my body betraying me. 

I was blaming it on the wine. 

Shuddering a breath, I willed away the feelings brewing inside of me. The last thing I wanted was for him to know the way he still had a hold on me.  

After what felt like far too long of silence, I finally managed to stand up from the stool, crossing my arms in front of me as I mustered up some words. "What the fuck are you doing here?" 

Yeah, that was sure to get the message across. 

"Ouch," Hunter drawled, his lips curling with amusement. "Not the greeting I was expecting." 

Not the greeting—was he fucking on one right now? What the hell was he expecting? For me to invite him inside with open arms as if he hadn't broken me apart only a month ago? 

"Sorry to disappoint," I bit back. "Dickhead," I whispered under my breath.

Based on the way Hunter's eyes sparked with amusement, I was guessing I hadn't been that quiet. "I missed that mouth of yours." 

Warmth swam inside of me at his suggestive remark, and I fought to remain indifferent as a short breath left my lips and my eyes narrowed on him. 

Sensing that I was seconds away from losing it, Hunter held up his hands in faux defense, though his gaze was still laced with taunting delight. "Sorry for the ambush. Rico told me a strange man was at your apartment, and I came to make sure everything was okay." 

My lips parted in incredulity. Rico was unbelievable. "A strange - Does he look like a strange man?" I exclaimed, motioning to Matt as my temper rose with every second that passed.