Emotional Support

"Layla, please tell me you were just trying out some special effect makeup," Liam said slowly.

I had answered the video call, knowing full and well Kat and Liam would just bombard me with calls until I responded. 

I tried to stand in dim lighting so my face wouldn't be too clear, but based on Liam's response and Kat's gaping mouth, it was safe to say they caught on. 

With a wince, I replied, "I might have run into a drunk creep outside the bar last night." 

"What!" Kat shrieked. 

 "I'm coming over right now." Liam's eyes shone with anger. "And I'm about to beat that bitch up." 

"Me too," snapped Kat, and I almost laughed, but knowing her, she was being dead serious. Not that she wasn't capable of doing it, but the girl wouldn't even hurt a fly if she had to. 

"Guys, guys, I'm okay. Hunter stepped in and gave the guy a good beating. And he took me to his place to clean me up." 

Kat paused. "Who's Hunter?" 

Liam rolled his eyes. "Layla's friend from the internship that was at the bar last night. You were probably too drunk to remember." 

"Ohhh, the sex on a stick," mumbled Kat, her memory returning. 

"Did you spend the night?" Liam asked with a grin. 

I smiled sheepishly. "It wasn't like that you weirdo." 

Kat let out a squeal. "Omg! He came to your rescue and took you to his place? Say less." 

I scowled, but my smile was still peeking out. "Shut up. I don't need to be rescued." 

Liam chuckled. "Nobody's saying you do. But it's hot as fuck that Hunter whooped someone's ass for you." 

"You're sick," I teased. 

They insisted on hearing the details, so I gave them the rundown on what went down at the bar, but refused to share anything about what happened at Hunter's place. Especially nothing about my dream. 

Kat insisted on coming over for "emotional support," and Liam was on board as well, seeing as they both finished their classes for the day. Despite my assurances that I was completely fine, it was evident that they weren't giving up. 

I honestly was fine, which was personally surprising. I always imagined that I would be so shaken up if something like that ever happened, but I guess everything that went down with Hunter just distracted me to the point where any shock had worn off. 

Succumbing to their insistence, I offered to order a pizza, suggesting that we could eat dinner together and watch some trashy reality TV. It would probably be good for me to have some company anyways, maybe I could get my mind off of the mess that was my feelings. 

I quickly ran to my room and changed into sweatpants and a hoodie, not wanting them to see me in Hunter's shirt. Just thinking about their reaction to that was enough to make me cringe. 

Kat showed up 20 minutes later, a tub of Ben & Jerry's in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other. 

I laughed. "Hair of the dog?" 

Waving the wine, she said, "This is for the pain, and, this," she waved the ice cream, "is for some much-needed comfort." 

My lips tilted upwards. Kat truly was a sweetheart. 

"Thank you, babe, you didn't have to bring anything." 

"Nonsense. So, what are we watching?"