The Gates of Hell

My heels clacked against the cobblestone path as Hunter and I made our way over to the wedding venue, my pulse hammering a mile a minute. 

Hunter's hand slid into mine, and he gave me a soft squeeze of reassurance as we reached the arching gates before the vineyard. 

The click of my heels stalled as I slowed to a stop just behind the gates, my eyes slightly widening as I took in the set-up waiting past the entrance. 

As much as I hated to admit it, it was beautiful.

Lush, green grass filled the space past the cobblestone, with rows and rows of rustic tables and matching chairs that were adorned with peonies and delectable dinnerware. Fairy lights hung through the weeping willow's surrounding the vineyard, and endless grape vines closed off the expansive space. 

The tasteful jazz music echoing from the live band sent a warm note across the vineyard, and the animated noise and conversations amongst the guests that were socializing gave testament to the joyful atmosphere. The sun was slowly beginning to set, and the early evening light cast a warm glow over the crowd. 

Letting go of my hand, Hunter drew me closer toward him by my waist as I took in the scene. "Everything alright, Angel?" 

Shaking the stupor off of me, I nodded, smiling up at him reassuringly. "Just taking it all in." 

I had really hoped that the venue would be horrifically designed, some bitter part of me wanting to revel in the fact that their wedding was tasteless. 

But it really was beautiful. 

Still, I couldn't revel in the beauty when I knew the assholes that we were supposed to be celebrating tonight.

Hunter and I had arrived rather late to the wedding, skipping the marriage ceremony and appearing just in time for the reception. I had originally planned on attending the ceremony, but I knew I couldn't watch them read their vows and whisper pledging words when my father had broken those same exact promises to my mother. 

Seeing him and Carly together would be torture enough.

"Should we head in, love? Or do you want to watch the reception from back here?" Hunter voiced with a lilt of amusement. 

Shit. I had forgotten I was still halted at the entrance, my mind traveling in too many directions. 

Letting out a nervous breath, I entwined Hunter's calloused fingers with mine and lifted one high-heeled foot after the other, entering through the gates of hell. 

A very gorgeously decorated hell. 

The rich sound of jazz filled my ears as we strolled across the vineyard, and I ran my eyes across the bustling crowd in search of Ariana. 

She had arrived much earlier than Hunter and I, seeing as she had attended the marriage ceremony. I knew it must have hurt her to witness my father and Carly tie the knot, but she couldn't help attending. 

Ariana was just too damn kind for her own good. Even at the expense of herself. 

I, on the other hand, operated on the other end of the spectrum. I couldn't feign happiness, or even contentment, at my father's actions. Regardless of how many times he apologized or how long it had been. That's where Ariana and I differed.

As I glanced through the crowd, I realized that, besides Ariana, I didn't really know any of the guests. 

My fathers side of the family was practically non-existent. His parents had passed quite a while ago, and besides them, he had some distant cousins whom he rarely spoke to.