Protect

"I... I caused all of this."-- Hebinoya Ikari

*warning: swearing, violence

POV— Hebinoya Ikari

Protect

Don't let me go.

This was all because of...

Me?

It's not true, is it?

No, no,

It can't be—

Don't let me go.

My first reaction is to deny it.

He's lying.

He's trying to manipulate me.

It can't be true—

But, as I palm my pockets, frantically searching for the tiny box that I had just remembered Father gave me, I find it.

The box, along with two, glowing red beacons, sit in my hand.

My world turns upside down. Along with the smoke and my shock, my head is suddenly too heavy on my shoulders.

I am only barely able to put the beacons back in my pocket before the last of my breathable air vanishes as I collapse, slumping to the ground. I struggle for air, inhaling the thick, burning fumes into my lungs, but that just strangles me more. It clogs my nose, covering my mouth, as if a pillow has been tightly pressed onto my face.

I struggle, coughing uncontrollably, as the man's silhouette approaches me— the only thing I see in this damn smoke. He stoops down to my level, his gas mask hissing, as he takes in one breath after another.

Air— I need air—

I choke a third time as he presses the gun to my temple.

"It'd be so satisfying to just press the trigger—" he cocks the gun, the barrel cold against my skin, "—and watch you bleed to death. But Razor wants you alive..."

Father wants me alive? That's the last thing he wants.

The man's voice echoes in and out of my mind. He stares down at me with glee, enjoying the sight of me struggling to live. My gasps have become short, shallow pants for breath as a gurgling sound emerges from my throat. Ink appears in my vision and it slowly spreads. My legs have no feeling. No matter how much I try to move, my body is nearly paralyzed.

"...perhaps I should shoot up some other kids. What do you think, Hebinoya Ikari? Hmm?" He drags the gun from my temple to my forehead, his finger merely millimeters from pulling the trigger.