Bad Things

"I just don't understand why you left me." — Ikari Hebinoya

Credit: 차차 on picrew

*warning: substance and child abuse, smoking, swearing, and violence in writing. There is also mention of suicide. Please proceed with caution.

POV – Todoroki Shoto

Bad Things

Don't let me go.

The second thing Father taught me is that there is an end to everything.

Everything.

There is an end in relationships, in experiences, in life.

I just wish Shojiro's demise came later than it did.

I just don't understand why he left me so soon.

Don't let me go.

I hold Ami in my arms and unclasp her ears.

"Why does Hebinoya want you to cover your ears?" I ask, as I feel her hands tightly grip the straps of my backpack.

"Kari says there are bad things, and I don't like bad things."

This is the only answer Ami gives me and she buries her head in my shoulder.

I cup my hands over her ears again just as a shout comes from the apartment complex. I scramble towards the railings, the sound of broken glass fresh in my ears. My heart jumps up to my throat. What happened to her? Does she need help?

Hebinoya rushes down the stairs, muttering something.

"Are you all right?"

"Yes, yes, I'm fine."

She's not fine. I can tell just by the tone of her voice. Worry rises up from my throat and I restrain the urge to ask her if she's fine for the second time.

As I watch her trace something in her palms, my gut flips. Something is definitely off.

"Why don't we go to the park? It's a lot better there." Hebinoya forces a smile as I hand Ami to her. Her voice is still shaky, but she tries hard to cover it up. I pretend I don't hear the quiver as she takes Ami in her arms and pats her back.

"I'm sorry I invaded your privacy... I'll see you tomorrow, Hebinoya," I apologize.

She gives me a small, tight smile.

"Right. See you, Sho-yo."

We part ways. Each step I take feels hard and leaden. My being tells me to turn around and run back to them, keep them safe. Nevertheless, I ignore the urge and head back towards the way I came from. A few seconds later, I allow myself to steal a glance at them. Hebinoya had let Ami down, and Ami seems to be excitedly chanting something.

What is wrong with her family? Why is she living here?

This is the first time that I had ever seen her scared. Is she constantly living like this? In this state of fear?

Like me?

I board the train and I call Fuyumi to tell her I'm coming home.

And to add to that, Hebinoya has to live with her father's reputation on her face. It's caused many people to shy away from her... just like the child I'd seen the other day. What else has she been through? What has she been robbed of because of her past?