The Walk Home

Credit for art: 遊屋ゆと

Ikari, but mildly annoyed at something.

*warning: violence and slight language

POV – Hebinoya Ikari

The Walk Home

Don't let me go.

There were only two people that I truly feared in my life.

Now, you must be thinking, that's incredulous.

But it's true.

Strangely enough, those two should have been the last people I should be scared of.

I call them Mother and Father.

Don't let me go.

When school is over, I shoulder my camera and briskly rush out of UA. The combat training has left me drained, and I drag my feet as I head to the train station. My head is filled with clouds of dissatisfaction. I could have done a lot better if I had put my mind to the assessment, but I can't do anything about it now.

My thoughts roam from the assessment to Todoroki's demeanor, jumping around to different topics, until it finally rests on Ami.

She'll need to wait for me to pick her up from daycare. Tanoko needs to tend to the store on Wednesdays, so he won't be able to take care of her. I pick up my speed, remembering to stick a bandage over my tattoo so no one will be alarmed by it. I had forgotten to do that when I walked with Todoroki this morning, and the feeling it left me guarantees that I won't be making the same mistake anytime soon.

I arrive at Ami's daycare later than I think. I make sure to I apologize to the caretakers for keeping Ami longer. When they take Ami out, she comes rushing towards me, chanting,

"Kari! Kari!" She clings onto my leg, her brown hair mashed into my leg as she laughs. Ami greets me like this everyday, but it never gets old. "Kari! I missed you!" she babbles. Even though I am tired, her face makes me liven up. I return her greeting with a soft smile.

"I missed you too."

I lead her out of the daycare, and we both continue towards the train station. Along the way, she continues to talk about her day and I listen carefully, occasionally nodding or agreeing with her rambles. When crowds begin to thicken at the station, I pick Ami up so she cannot get lost.

Overlapping conversations float through the air. The rumble of trains vibrate underneath me. I can smell something metallic on the escalator as we descend towards the underground platform. I head towards the green line and stand with many of the other workers heading home, while Ami playfully pulls at my hair.

"Do you want me to do your hair tomorrow?" I ask Ami. Her round face flashes with excitement as she begins to describe the hairstyle she wants. Even though I try hard to listen, I get distracted by a strange churning that appears in my stomach, almost like foul acid is poured down my throat.

The hairs on my neck shoot up. The instant they do, I look around for any signs of immediate danger. My gut feelings are never wrong. I narrow my eyes and sweep through the station, but it is bustling and loud, and I cannot see anything suspicious. With an uneasy shake of my head, I dismiss it as regular nerves.

We board the train without any problem. After a few minutes of trying to balance myself on the moving train cart, our stop arrives. I walk out and put Ami down, my nerves still tingling from the encounter at the platform.