Quirk Assessment

*warning: slight language

POV – Hebinoya Ikari
Quirk Assessment

Don't let me go.

"There's no use in being kind if you're already dead."

That's what Father said.

He taught me to be cruel, unforgiving,

because he was thought being kind was weak.

And now I'm broken.

Don't let me go.

From what the doctors said, Mother suffered from a form of depression that made her happy one minute and then sad the next. When Shojiro and I were young, we got home from school to find that Mother would pamper us with cheap snacks and artificial juice. Then, two minutes later, the snacks would have been slammed to the ground, the juice spilt, and Mother's livid face would be yelling at us, screaming that we were useless and stupid and didn't deserve love.

Then Shojiro would take me to our room and tell me that he would always love me, no matter what.

Now that I think about it, she was quite a sad person.

I suppose dealing with two kids and a criminal husband drove her insane, and I don't quite blame here. It's just that she would yell and berate us so much I lost all sense of empathy for her, and for many years I hated Mother.

Don't let me go.

"A Quirk assessment test?" We all chant, staring at Aizawa in shock. After we have changed, we stand in one of the many practice fields of UA, dressed in our blue training uniforms.

"What about the entrance ceremony? The orientation?" One girl asks. I think she was the one that was levitating Midoriya on testing day. I vaguely recall her name— Uraraka Ochaco. Her brown hair frames her face as she squeezes her fists, questioning Aizawa with a disbelieving, fast paced tone.

"If you're going to become a hero, you have no time for leisurely events." Aizawa drones. I allow myself to smile.

This is the exact teacher I wanted. I didn't want to go to the orientation anyways.

I'd feel too alone.

"You kids have been doing this since junior high, too, right?" Aizawa pulls out a tracking device as it glows blue, beeping repeatedly. "Physical fitness tests where you weren't allowed to use your Quirks."

I've been practicing and training all through elementary and middle school with Father. And when he was gone, I practiced harder, because I knew that my Quirk would not help me strength wise.

We all answer yes, and Aizawa calls Bakugou up. He explains that since Bakugou finished first in the entrance exam, he will be performing the demo. Bakugou mutters something under his breath and steps into one of the circles painted on the ground. Aizawa explains the rules and tosses him a ball. He arches his hand high in the air, his expression murderous, as if the ball had killed his entire family.

"Die!" Bakugou screams, the ball speeding towards the sky, a plume of fire and smoke following it.

"Die...?"

Midoriya's voice is small and shaky compared to Bakugou's. As I watch him carefully, Midoriya's eyes turn slack and his face blank.

He must be scared.