Rescue

"Don't think I'm trying to comfort you."—Hebinoya Ikari

*warning: violence and swearing

POV—Todoroki Shoto

Rescue

Don't let me go.

Shojiro.

Are you there?

Shojiro, Shojiro.

You remember me, don't you?

I'm your sister.

Don't let me go.

I squint to get a clearer look at Midoriya. It is easy to decipher his shaking legs, even in the dark. He puts the goggles down, his fingers shaking too.

"They... they're Nomus—"

What?

The silence that had just been so peaceful is now thick, black tar. It suffocates me as I deny it instantly. My mind is playing tricks on me. There aren't any Nomus here. I must've heard him wrong.

Iida, as shocked as I am, shifts under Midoriya and calls,

"A Nomu? That's impossible—" his voice falters as Midoriya abruptly shakes his head, looking through the night goggles again. As he looks away for the second time, his eyes glimmer under the moonlight.

"Nomus. Dozens of them."

Don't let me go.

POV— Hebinoya Ikari

"Well," the yellow lights in the room are dim compared's to Father's glowing eyes. "I suppose Bakugou could use a few broken bones, couldn't he?"

My eyes widen, lips quivering.

He turns his attention back to Bakugou. At some point, Bakugou must have fell unconscious when Father was pushing me to take up the deal. As we watch in quiet anticipation, he groans, gripping at his side. The tightness in my chest increases. Although Shojiro's outburst had temporarily kept me from answering, I have to give up something. The fear I had just managed to dispel is back again, and it is stronger than ever.

"You maniacs..." Bakugou coughs. He steadies himself, propping up his body to stand. Again, I fight the urge to warn him to lay low and let me handle it.

Didn't you fail already? What are you going to do, agree with the deal?

Pathetic.

You're telling me that's your only solution?

Father's voice is stuck in my mind. I suck in a sharp breath, unsuccessfully attempting to get his words out of my head. I don't know what to do. Instinctively, my eyes turn to Shojiro, still standing beside Father. He refuses to look at me as I plead with my eyes.