S - 14

Bismillah hir Rahman nir Raheem. 

Should I feel guilty? 

No. 

Did I commit any mistake? 

No. 

Was it all my fault? 

No. 

Did I not take care of him and his parents

No. 

The whistle from the cooker broke her from the chain of thoughts she was having. She couldn't place her finger over the fact that why her heart isn't on ease and why did it have to pain all day and every day, for the mistake she didn't commit. 

One mistake and all her life had crumbled down to ashes. 

She instantly opened the cooker lid only to find all the curry burnt and she sighed with fear starting to rain her into captivation. 

"You are so careless! You don't even know how to cook. Where have you lost your mind?" The voice of her mother-in-law rang through her ears, haunting her. This was another nightmare, she had to undergo. 

"Shabna, what's with the smell?" Mubeena entered the kitchen. 

"Mamma I am so sorry," she pleaded, "The curry has been burnt. I am sorry, please forgive me." 

Mubeena eyed her daughter, the fear in her pupils, the unknown sadness that lurked in those black wells and her own chest ached with pain to see her only child suffering for all the mistakes she didn't commit. She patted her shoulder, "It's not a big problem, Shabna. Move! let me take a look." 

Everytime something wrong happens, Shabna turns into a panic mode where she thinks she would get punished for her simple wrongdoings. But this was her home and the people who live here, care for her so much to look over her shortcomings. But given her state of mind, Mubeena doesn't complain about her behavior. 

"Look! It's not all burnt, is it?" Mubeena transformed the part which was good into another bowl, and surprisingly it tasted edible and nice. 

"Shabna, chill and just relax!" She just nodded her head and walked out of the kitchen.  

She closed the door behind her and sat on the edge of her bed. This was her life and she was to get accustomed to it, but why does she find it hard accepting the reality.  

That was because of a single reason. Even if she tried forgetting everything she had endured, the people around her don't fail to bring it to her face. For starters, the day before she had to go for some urgent grocery shopping and she was just locking the house door, when the Aunty, who lived the floor above them was climbing down the stairs, and when her eye fell on Shabna, her pupils got dilated and realisation of what had happened hit her and it did not go unnoticed by Shabna. Whoever she crosses path with, knows what happened to her in this society and they blame her for her happenings.