Platform No. 3

Bismillaah hir Rahman nir Raheem.

The hot beverage filled up the small polythene cup, the smell of coffee spread its aroma all over the niche.  The small cafeteria scattered hope for anyone who stepped inside, giving everyone some space and peace of mind. 

Sameer filled two cups of hot coffee and walked towards his usual table.  He placed the small cup near the other one who was busy texting someone on his phone. 

"Drink the coffee before it goes cold," Sameer said plopping down on his chair. 

When he was addressed, the protagonist of this book looked up and his eyes fixed on the vapors flying over the cup, a small smile grazed his lips. 

"Thanks, bud," Maahi said with gratitude dripping in his tone. 

"You are thanking like it's the first time I am filling this drink for you. It's just our routine. Why say thank you every time?" Sameer shook his hand as he sipped the drink from his cup. 

"I am forever grateful to you and so, a small thank you every time you do the task for me wouldn't cost a fortune," Maahi replied. 

They were working as interns in a small company and Maahi does the night shift while Sameer, his college mate worked in the day. 

Every day their morning started with a small chit chat over a drink or snack. 

"So who is keeping my boyfriend busy with texts?", Sameer asked dipping a butter biscuit over the coffee and placing it in his mouth. 

"Like always", 

"Fathima?", 

"Yup",

"She doesn't leave you without knowing you are in a good state right? You should be very lucky to have her in your life", Sameer chirped. 

"I am. She and her family are my only relatives", Maahi's voice laced with slight sorrow. 

"Oh! So now they are your only living family. You didn't even leave the country and you already forgot about me", Sameer wiped a fake tear from his eyes. 

"Of course you are. I mentioned them because they aren't here. Alright?", Maahi got up and disposed of the cup in a bin. 

"Ahaan! Don't worry. Within a month you would go back to them. Your time in India is going to get over soon. Then I will be the one missing you", Sameer said. 

"In shaa Allah".

....  

Maahi opened the door to his small apartment he shared with Sameer.  Mostly his mornings were passed by sleeping like a hog, too tired to get up because of his night shift. 

But today he felt an odd feeling settling deep in the pit of his stomach. 
His morning talk with Sameer struck a chord in his mind. 

The thought that he is going to leave this place and go back to his family, no matter how happy it made him. At the end of the day caused a slight ache to form in his heart. 

All his life, Maahi lived alone. His parents died in a fire accident. He was left to be nurtured with his Uncle Usman. Usman was a Good Man. He raised Maahi as his own Son and loved him dearly and his whole family cared for him. Especially Fathima. 

His Milk-sister. 

Usman had got a well-settled job in California a few years back and at that time Maahi was in his final year so he was left behind in India. Now that his education was over, he is going to fly back to them. 

On one side, he was happy to go back, and on the other, he was sad that all his routine would change. The irking feeling that he would leave Sameer behind caused his heart to ache. 

Sometimes you get yourself so adjusted to the country you live in that the thought of leaving your land makes a void in your heart. That day Maahi felt the same pain. He tossed and turned over the bed, but in vain. He couldn't sleep. 

Maahi was a caffeine addict. So he thought of drinking the hot beverage to clear the fog that had formed in his brain. 

He entered the kitchen and switched on the gas, placed a kettle of milk to boil. He opened the upper cabinet to take the coffee powder and found the box empty. 

Sighing, he switched off the stove. 

He picked up his bike keys and thought of going for a ride. He wandered over the streets not knowing the exact location he wanted to go to. 

It was kind of relaxing when we ride a bike. To breathe in the fresh air, the adrenaline rush, the thrill when you drive faster, all made one happy. 

Though riding a car is comfortable, Maahi always liked to drive his bike. 

After an hour of refreshing outside, he came back home. His eye's drooped with tiredness.

He climbed on his bed, pulling the comforter and was about to dive into slumber when his phone rang aloud. 

"Fathima you know very well to not call me during this hour of the day. I am gonna kill you", he bickered as he pressed the annoying phone over his ears. 

"Assalamu alaikum to you too, Maahi", It was Ali, Fathima's husband. 

"Wa Alaikum Assalam English accent. Where is the owner of this phone and why are you ringing me?", asked Maahi getting up, rubbing his eyes. 

"My missus wants to know if she could start the bride hunt for you? She forced me to call you because she surely knows that if she asks this question means you would kill her through the phone", Ali smiled a mischievous smile on the other end. 

"Of course! she is going to die with my hands. And why does she wants me to hook up so soon?", he messed up his hair. 

"Oh, that! As she is married and would always be busy with me", Ali started and Maahi scrunched his face, "She wants you to be patched up with someone too. So you won't feel lonely when you come here", he finished. 

"Tell her not to worry. I am going to marry a girl called " sleep " and I was about to sleep with her when she forced you to call me and disturbed our beautiful romance. So please let me go back to sleep and sleep peacefully in her arms", Maahi cut the call and fell back in mind. 

Why is everyone striking a chord in his mind?

One made him realise that he was going to leaving the country and the other made him think about getting a life partner. 

And here he was, 

Not at all ready for both.