M - 22

Bismillaah hir Rahman nir Raheem. 

Ringgg Ringgg 

The school bell rang announcing that the time for leaving the school premises has finally arrived after an awful day at school. The children in front of Shabna jumped up and down and started packing their bags as if they are going out on a vacation. Their faces were painted with big smiles and laughter. Shabna shook her head at their nonchalance, but alas, smiled. 

"Don't forget to do your homework," she announced loudly and some of them nodded their heads as they exited the class.  

She started putting her stuff from the table into her handbag and suddenly someone grabbed her by her abaya, so she turned her attention towards the one who sought it.  

It was a small girl from her class named Suzanne with two cute ponytails on her head. "Maam!" She called.  

"Yes, my dear?" Shabna beamed because she loved this one a bit extra from others, she was so sweet.  

Suzanne kissed Shabna's cheek and said bye. Shabna grinned and waved her hand back as the small girl exited the class.  

After packing her stuff she stood straight and looked at the twins who were ready to exit the class.  

"Asad, Samad, don't leave the class until your ride comes, okay?" She said, her voice full of authority.  

"Okay Maam," Samad replied and Asad pouted as they both begrudgingly went back to their seats.  

She hung her handbag and held two extra notebooks which she had to check, in her other hand, and walked out of the class.  

Every evening when she thinks she won't see him, she eventually crosses paths with him. Today before he could see her, her eyes searched the parking lot for any signs of him to control her racing heart, which was without her permission rages at his sight and she withdrew a surprised yelp at the sight of him.  

Memories from the past came flooding through her brain, for he was seated sleeping on one of those benches and she had to cross him, to reach the main gate.  

She closed her eyes and sighed. He has come early today and he might have slept waiting for the school to get over. No matter how much she would mock away, the act was simply cute.  

Her steps didn't falter as she walked and her foot came to a halt near the bench. The journey with him on the train years back, and he was sleeping then and he was sleeping now.  

But everything changed, she wasn't the person she was on the train.  

Slowly her vision perceived the sight of him, the same person she liked before and he was here finally, but the irony of the situation was, he did not deserve her nor she was worthy of him. He was so close to her reach but too far away to claim. He did not change, his style didn't vary, the same buttoned-up shirt with that black undershirt. His beard was a little more prominent than before but it did not try to hide his Adam's apple. It was so much more visible and it wobbled up and down when he talked.