Chapter 43- Packmate

Ro's POV

These bloody hyenas were tough and they cackled all the while. My father was more bold as he fought, jumping into the fray and using his powerful jaws and sharp claws to good use. I on the other hand was more cautious, my recent fight with Carno had made me wary. I stood in the doorway of Nobu and I's room, stopping any of them from entering.

Two of the hyenas focused on my father, one on me. I growled in warning and my tail flicked widely behind me, I would protect Nobu with everything I had, I'd done it before and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I was scared sure, that I might get injured again, but this time Nobu couldn't heal me afterwards, I had to be careful. If I died then so did Nobu, he wouldn't be able to bring me back with a bite, he hadn't recovered from the first one.

I swiped and tore into flesh, my determination to survive, to be there when Nobu woke up, to assure he woke up at all, driving me to fight viciously, I wasn't just fighting to maim, I was fighting to kill.

My fears and worries dulled for a while, a few scratches and minor injuries not bothering me, but the hyena I was fighting wasn't looking much worse. He didn't give me any openings and I wasn't going to walk into his jaws or let him rake his claws across my coat of fur and bury into the skin beneath.

I roared in frustration and leapt onto him, surprising him and I managed to sink my teeth into his shoulder and he screeched in pain as I shook my head, ripping my canines free of his flesh. I jumped back before he attacked me in return, blocking the doorway to the hospital room once again.

Blood dripped from my chin and the taste of it filled my mouth. I bared my teeth, showing him his blood on them as he climbed back to his feet. He growled angrily in response, how sporting a limp, his coat dirtied with blood.

A yowl distracted the both of us and my heart squeezed, chest feeling tight as panic and worry filled me, it had come from my father.

Using the distraction I attacked the hyena again and he yelped as I rammed into him, sending him into one of the others and they smacked against the wall in a heap. I spotted my father sprawled on the floor, the leader hyena cackling, licking blood off his maw. My father was bleeding from his side, pure white bone peeking out from his tan fur.

I rushed forward and stood between all of the three hyenas and my father, body angled slightly to also block the door which led to Nobu. The two that I had knocked over shook their heads to clear the daze and stood, coming to stand beside their leader.

I growled at them, I would not back down. I couldn't imagine beating all three of them but I had to try, I had to protect those who I cared for.

They cackled and paced back and forth, seeming to savour the moment, their eyes cold and uncaring, filled with a sick sort of pleasure.

One on the left leapt forward and I swiped my paw, forcing him to jump back. I saw the one on the right go to do the same and I hunkered down and grunted as he ploughed into me, his form not that much smaller than my own, but my muscle mass allowed me to mostly stay in place, but I was dazed, my body shocked by the hit, stunned.

I yowled as teeth sunk into my shoulder, I fell forward and dislodged him. He scampered away or he would of gotten squished under my larger body. I shook my head and let out a short and gruff growl, glaring at the three of them.

The middle one shifted back to his human form and the other two flanked his sides to protect his more vulnerable human form. "Just give up kid, you've got no chance of besting all three of us."

I knew he was right but his cockiness pissed me off, I wouldn't just give up, I wouldn't go down without a fight, at least I knew I had I tried, did all I could.