Chapter 48- Safe

Nobu's POV

The sound of slightly raised voices awoke me, my father's and Ro's appeared to be having an argument of some sort. Despite the noise I still felt so sleepy, and I was really comfortable, warmth surrounded me and Ro's scent, mixed in with the smell of home. A soft sigh of contentment escaped me and I shifted a little, my sleep heavy and slightly numb body making me feel like I was floating, almost weightless. As I moved I could feel a soft weight covering me, someone had draped a blanket over Ro and I, and from his even and shallow breaths he'd fallen asleep same as I. He had a reason to be tired, all of the stress of the last few days, worried about me, he'd sleep fitfully now, knowing I was alright. I remember when I'd been I a coma, he slept so badly, tossing and turning, mumbling my name, jolting awake and in tears.

I snuggled deeper against his chest, my forehead pressed to his jaw, my cheek on his shoulder. I yawned and rubbed my eyes, the large yawn making them water a bit, and I could feel sleep in the corners of my eyes. My eyes found the patio door, the orange glow in the darkening sky told me it was early evening. My stomach made itself known, I hadn't eaten in days, IV fluids to keep me hydrated but nothing solid, I was so hungry.

I looked around the front room, my siblings were sitting on the sofa, the tv a little louder so they could hear it over our father's bickering with Jax. Mum was in the kitchen, her apron on as usual when she was cooking, hair pulled back. I yawned again and groaned softly, curling towards Ro more to hide from the noise and glare of the tv, managing to doze back off, planning on getting as much sleep as I could before dinner.

...

"Nobu dear?" my mums soft voice cooed, her cool and slender hand cupping my cheek tenderly. "Dinners ready sweetie, you must be starving."

"Hnnmm..."

"Are you still feeling sleepy? A full stomach will make you feel better." she would know, she'd been having heats a lot longer than I had, but I was so comfy, hungry yes but so warm and content, I wanted to eat my cake and have it to.

I opened my eyes, meeting her ice blue ones that matched Jaspers, the corners of them crinkling a little with the small, loving smile on her face. I could still hear Jax and father arguing, it sounded like it was coming from the office, the door was ajar so the soundproofing wouldn't work. "What are they arguing about?" I mumbled drowsily and she let out a long sigh, glancing back in their direction.

"They both want you and Ambrose to be safe, they just have different ideas on how best to do it. After what's happened recently their both quite concerned, we all are sweetie." she spoke softly, her thumb gently running over the cheek she was cupping. I nuzzled into the hand, purring a little.

"I'm sorry mum."

"No Nobu, it's not your fault, none of what happened is. Your father and I always knew things would change once you came of age, your shift's rarity ensured that, but that doesn't mean you should resent it, it's others who think it's special and deserves attention, it's the society I'm afraid. I would never change you for the world Nobu, your my little boy, you always will be, and your perfect the way you are."

"Mum..." I murmured, feeling emotional all of a sudden, I felt like crying. Her acceptance was so important to me, my whole families was, they were my rock, my safety blanket, if I didn't have them I don't know what I would do.

'Are you human's always so sappy?'

'Are you shifters always so horny?' I counted.

Eidolon huffed. 'You haven't seen anything yet cub, wait until we reach the apex of our heat, then you'll see just how lustful we can get.'