Chapter 83- Surprise! Surprise!

A belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!

Sorry, I haven't been posting much recently, I'm struggling to write at the moment and there's nothing like family drama at Christmas! I also lost my Bearded Dragon and have been pretty sad about it, that aside from the fact the anniversary of my aunt's death is just before Christmas. I've written a little when I could and finally this chapter is ready to post, I knew I could do better but this is my best right now, hurry up Spring! I need some sunshine to get rid of this seasonal depression!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

Ro's POV

Since it was so close to Christmas there was no point in Nobu and I going back to school for a few days until everyone breaks up for the holidays and until the new year. That left Nobu and I at home whilst Otto, Jasper and Emelia still had to go to university and college. We weren't home alone, Lukas needed to go to work but Elode was home for good until the new year. I was surprised by her job when I first heard about it, then I was confused as to why I was surprised, Elode worked at a nursery, looking after kids as young as five, she was a loving and caring mother, if anything those kids were lucky to have her.

Since everyone else was out and Christmas was approaching at the speed of a freight train, there was a lot that needed to be done, including Christmas shopping, so that's where Elode was taking us.

The Unica family only had one car, which Lukas drove to work, Elode usually walked to the local promenade or small town centre. It wasn't that long of a walk, but I got the feeling we'd be getting a lot of shopping, and it was quite cold today, a flurry of snow could be on the forecast. Considering all that I offered to drive, which meant walking to my unused apartment in the only complex in the small town.

Seeing Nobu bundled up just reminded me of how cute he was, the thick grey coat Elode had zipped up to his chin and the matching blue hat, scarf and gloves she'd put on him. He was swathed in the poofy puffer jacket, the hat pulled down almost to his eyebrows, the long scarf wrapped many times around his neck and his gloves the ones that go from fingerless gloves to mittens with little kitten faces sown onto them, they even had tiny ears.

He'd complained to Elode that all of it wasn't necessary as he doesn't feel the cold very much but she had been adamant that no child of hers would go out in this weather without at least three layers. I'd been too busy cooing at how cute Nobu looked to see Elode approach. "When we're out we need to get you a good coat Ambrose, that jacket you wear is nowhere near thick enough so I dug out Jasper's old one." in an instant I was tugged and stuffed into a thick bomber jacket in brown suede with sheep's wool lining. She fussed at the collar, and smiled proudly, smoothing down the front of the coat.

It was a little tight under the arms and when I shoved my hands in the generous front pockets I pulled out a handful of sweet wrappers, and to my confusion a small stone. Jasper's scent was still on the material of the coat, it was faint but the slightly minty, and sweet citrus smell was hard to miss, especially since his scent had a herbal note of basil. It fit him quite well, it was in your face, lively and bright in a refreshing way, it was a shock to the nose for sure, mint, lemon/grapefruit and basil weren't subtle smells, but all together? Yeah, there was no way you wouldn't notice where he'd been, or that he was in your presence.

I'd been spared a hat and scarf since Elode couldn't find the spare set she had, I was grateful for that, but the gloves were welcome.

We headed out, Elode striding ahead with purpose in her long red number and all-black hat, scarf and gloves set that matched her black leather boots.

I took Nobu's hand and we walked a few steps behind, he was grumbling under his breath about his over-protective mother, and that he was an adult and could choose what coat to wear. It wasn't done in a bitter way, from the smile tugging at his lips I knew he was saying it in jest, he secretly loved the doting and the fuss.