Chapter 51- Mother

She had black hair like me, hers straight and stopping at her ribs, gentle blue eyes and my darker skin. I could see a scar peeking out from the collar of the black dress she wore and her arms worked the sleek looking wheelchair. She smiled at dad, I could see the love in her eyes when she looked at him, and him the same. Her blue eyes found me and she slowed, coming to a stop a few feet from us. Her full pink lips parted and her eyes welled with tears. Seeing her cry made me want to as well, she seemed almost frozen in shock. I took an unsure step forward. "Mum?" I whispered, and that seemed to do it, a sob escaped her throat and she reached out for me.

"My baby, come, let me hold you." she cried. I closed the distance between us and kneeled down on one knee, she threw her arms around me and I had to hold her up as she came out of her chair. She smelt of wildflowers and spring, sweet and gentle. Her scent smelt familiar somehow, part of me remembered it, it held so much comfort, a feeling of safety and care.

I snuffed heavily, a few tears slipping down my cheeks as I embraced my mother, my mother...

She pulled back and cupped my cheeks, sniffing and snuffing, her tears slowing and a joyful smile on her lips. Slender, soft fingers stroked my slightly damp cheeks. "Reuben." she breathed.

"Hi mum." I murmured, leaning into her gentle touch with a sigh.

"Why didn't you tell me you'd found him?" she turned her head and grumbled at dad, in an annoyed and slightly angry fashion.

"Because I knew you'd want to see him immediately Lyla, I didn't want to lose you just after finding him." Jax explained and her expression softened, she did let out a small huff though. She turned back to me and looked me over, hands trailing over my features, taking them in and seeming to check my health.

"He looks well looked after, you didn't just take him did you? You had consent from who was looking after him?" she questioned her mate and he rolled his eyes.

"Of course I didn't just take him Lyla, they have my permission." dad actually looked a little offended.

"Hmm." she still seemed a little sceptical. Her eyes looked over me again before looking around me, her thin, arched brows furrowed as she studied my aura. "Y-your mated! Already?!" she blurted and I couldn't help but smile at her reaction, and thinking of Nobu kind of did that to me.

I glanced over my shoulder at Nobu, who had managed to sleep through this, god he was beautiful. "I-is that..." she trailed off and I nodded.

"Yeah, my mate Nobu, he's having his first heat at the moment so he's resting up." I explained and was surprised when she slapped my shoulder.

"You're so young still Rueben, why are you mated already?" she scolded.

"He's my agape mum, we weren't planning on mating so soon either, but me being on the database wasn't safe." I sighed, it didn't really do much, the Dead Rabbits still found us, Nobu and I almost died, if we weren't bonded then he wouldn't of gone into a coma, I didn't regret it mating with Nobu, not at all, but it hadn't done what I hoped it would, we were still in danger, it's why we're here.

"Your agape? You found..."

"You didn't think I'd let him mate with just anyone for no reason Lyla?" dad prodded with a huff of indignation, crossing his arms. Mum just ignored that question, eyes studying Nobu's sleeping form from a distance.

"Come on mum, come and meet him, you'll like him, I know you will." I assured and she squeaked in surprise when I picked her up..

She clung onto my shoulders. "You could of warned me Reuben."

"Sorry mum." I apologised and carried her over to the sofa, setting her down beside Nobu and sitting on the armrest on his other side, tenderly brushing his curly grey hair away from his forehead.