Chapter 29- Reunion

Ro's POV

My heart felt like it was in my throat when I saw my parents walk in, I was in a bad mood already from the parcel, and what was in it. My parents being here didn't help that at all. My mum's critical eyes scanned the room and the people in it, her nose upturned and lips pursed, her expensive purse held in one of her hands, I forgot how she dressed and how tanned she liked to be. Dad followed behind her, looking like he was going to the golf club or something, they didn't fit in with the little town, or this house. They almost looked like strangers to me, I knew they made me but I didn't want to run over and hug them, I had wanted answers the past two years, why did they dump me here?

Her calculating eyes found Nobu and I and she smiled at the both of us, it wasn't a friendly one, what was she planning in that head of hers?

"Ah hello, it's nice to meet you." Elode came over, drying her hands with a kitchen towel, wearing an apron. Slight distaste flickered on my mother's face but she kept up appearances by nodding, plasting a fake friendly smile on her face. "My names Elode and this is my mate Lukas." she introduced and Lukas grunted, still fuming no doubt, sitting down at the dining table and sipping his coffee, the newspaper in front of him but he seemed too angry to be able to read it.

"Well I'm Valerie Vanderbilt and this is my mate Bartholomew." my mother returned the favour and Jasper sniggered at their names, my mother's eyes sharply meeting his, he didn't stop though, for once I didn't mind his behaviour, he could annoy them all he wanted.

"Jasper." Elode hissed in a scolding tone and he shut up, she cleared her throat. "These are our children Otto, Jasper, Emelia and Nobu." she carried on with the introductions. My mother's eyes came to focus on the both of us again and I set my head atop Nobu's protectively.

"My have you grown Ambrose." she commented with pride and I snorted quietly. "And this must be your mate?" she surmised and somehow lowered herself in those ridiculous heels, her knee's bent as she came down to our level. "You're very beautiful Nobu." she told him in a voice that was much too smooth. His tail swished along the floor and he watched her closely, his left ear flicking. "And such a special shift, I've seen your profile on the database." she added, bad move. I could feel Nobu bristle slightly against me, he hated being called special, and my parents being rich snobs didn't help.

"Soooo Valerie, was it a long trip?" Jasper spoke up and my mother straightened and scowled slightly.

"About an hour, we live in the city." she answered begrudgingly.

"Ah, why doesn't Ro live with you?" he carried on and she huffed at the nickname, she'd always hated it.

"That's none of your business." she replied a little sharply, but wasn't it mine? I shifted behind Nobu.

"But it's mine." I retorted and her mouth hung open for a second before she closed it. I sat behind Nobu and ran my hand down his back, it keeping me calm. "Why did you cut me out of your lives once I'd turned sixteen, and why are you back now?" I challenged and she swallowed uncomfortably.

"We did it to protect you Ambrose." my father spoke up and I scoffed.

"From what?" I demanded to know, starting to get angry. Nobu shifted into his second form and I gratefully held him to my chest, resting my chin on his fur covered shoulder, the contact soothing to me.

"Your real father." he admitted and the room was silent, not even breaths in the room, the ticking of the clock deafening. I stared at him, my heart pounding, was it true? I studied their faces, I had always known I didn't look particularly like them, but all of us were jaguars, I had never questioned it. If they weren't my parents than who were? "We came back you warn you, now you're on the database he'll be able to find you." he added.