Chapter 39- Hold On

Otto's POV

Jax and Jasper got along concerningly well. Once we'd dropped off Emelia at college all i could hear was their constant chatting and it was about pretty much everything. Jax delt with Jasper easily and Jasper had the balls or lack of sense (it was hard to tell which) to speak freely with the gang leader.

In some aspects Jax fit the stereotype well, but some things made it blurr around the edges. I wasn't sure what his gang did exactly, i knew what we were told but the council and journalism tended to dramatize things, make things seem worse than what it was, paint the picture that Jax was nothing but a heartless and dangerous criminal.

From the short time i've known him i have seen much more than a criminal, in fact he comes across as a regular joe asside from the intimidating and minacious air about him. I saw the affection and love in his eyes when he looked at Ro, how he spoke in a low and caring voice to him and he treated Nobu with a certain gentleness and friendly manner. Father seemed to like him, they had the same opinions on most things, maybe Jax took a very forward approach on some issues but i knew he was doing it for the right reasons, even if the law considered it as doing the wrong thing. I've heard from shifter circles how he hunted down poachers and traffickers, so of course the human populace would portray him as the bad guy. The influential shifters didn't like how he killed rapers, or those who hurt the more vulnerable shifters. Those in the wrong were often than not one of their own, sure, some less fortunate shifters were also drawn to crime, but not because they thought they could get away with it. Those influential in the world had shares in the council, so their workers tended to be more lenient, or risk loosing funding.

Our society was as corrupt as others, sure if someone with no connections or money did wrong the full force of the law would bear down on them but if a rich and well-connected shifter did the same thing all they got was a slap on the wrist. Jax delt justice no matter the person's wealth or friends, it's why the council hated him so much, he underminded them and made them seem bad, they portrayed him in a nefarious light to those who didn't know any better, hence his reputation amongst everyday shifters.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when my phone buzzed in my pocket. I fished it out and frowned at the name flashing on the screen. Why was Nobu calling me? Did he forget something? Did something happen? He seemed fine when we left him at school, has his heat spiked again?

I answered the call, not even getting the phone to my ear before i heard Nobu's distraught voice, i could hear the body wracking sobs he was holding back so he could be coherent enough for me to understand him. I stopped in my tracks at what he rushed out, it ending with him in a fit of tears and heart crushing cries. 'Get to the school. Carno's killing Ro.' I barely heard the last bit.

My heart dropped to my stomach and i froze for a second. Oh god no, no... please no. If Carno kills Ro that was bad enough, but they were mated now, if Ro dies then so does Nobu. I don't think i could take that, live in a world without my beloved younger brother.

"Carno's attacked Ro and Nobu." I rushed out and Jax and Jasper abruptly stopped walking and their chatter cut off. Their heads whipped back to look at me but i was already shifting and running back in the direction of the school, digging my legs in and running as fast as i possibly could.

We're coming Nobu... just hold on.

Nobu's POV

I could see Ro getting weaker as the minutes ticked by, how he had to throw himself to get away from Carno's teeth and claws. I could see how exhausted Ro was, he couldn't do this for much longer.

Come on Otto.

Carno leapt forward and Ro twisted and fell trying to back peddle, ending up with his already shredded front exposed. I snarled and latched onto one of Carno's large ears, tearing it clean off. He yowled and bucked, trying to get me off of him but my claws were dug into his skin and muscle deeply and i vowed i wouldn't let go until my brothers and Jax got here.