Chapter 12- Smashing Time

[Carno ^] 

"Nobu seems to disagree." mum pointed out, a smile in her voice. I meowed in agreement and started to lick Ro's cheek again, eyes closing in content, my purr getting louder. The weather outside seemed to be getting worse, the howling wind picking up and the rain getting even heavier, the sky darkening, thunder rumbling very loud and flashes lighting up the sky. Either a tree falling over in the strong wind or the lightning must of cut a power line because the lights suddenly went off, the storm had caused a power cut. The table went quiet as the room got a lot darker, the sound of the storm in full force the only sounds that could be heard. I snorted at the silence of everyone and got off of Ro and padded to the patio door, sitting down in front of it and watching the storm with fascination and wonder, nature was truly beautiful and powerful. My eyes watched the dark sky, waiting avidly for lightning to show up, I didn't have to wait long and the bright flash burned the back of my eyes, followed by a rumble of thunder, we we're right in the middle of the storm, the time between the lighting and thunder very short, almost non-existent.

"I don't think school or work is going to happen today." mum stated as she stood beside me and ruffled my head gently. I let out a whine of worry, remembering that dad was driving out in these conditions. Mum seemed to be able to know what I was thinking. "Daddies ok, he would of pulled over and gotten somewhere warm and safe." she assured and rubbed my head a little more. It soothed my worry but it did not go completely. I looked out of the window, not liking the storm as much now. One of the trees near our fence caught my attention and I watched it carefully as its branches got whipped around in the wind, the whole tree seemed to be....moving? I whined and nudged mum back with my head, leaning my weight on her legs and trying to push her back away from the window. "Nobu? What's the matter?" she asked, I yowled at her and pushed her back harder, she stumbled but Otto caught her. I looked towards the patio door just as a large gust went past and I watched as the tree got uprooted in the storm and toppled over, flattening our fence and falling in the garden, the branches hitting the glass door and a crack spiderwebbed from the hit. Emelia screamed as the tree fell and I rubbed my head against my mother's leg, not taking my eyes off the door.

"O-otto, get the cork-board from the g-garage." my mum stuttered out in a scared tone and Otto let mum go and hurried to the garage. He came back not soon after with a large bit of wood and with Jasper and Ro's help they put it over the glass and pushed the sofa in front of it to keep it in place, that glass wasn't going to last much longer with the wind outside, wind that strong and small fragments of glass was a deadly mix. Mum kneeled down and wrapped me in a hug. "Thank you Nobu." she whispered into my fur and held me tightly. I purred back and nuzzled her in a reassuring manor, she was a bit shocked by what could of happened. The front door opened and a soggy dad walked in and I meowed in relief and wished my tail, running over to him and licking the moisture off his hand. He smiled down at me and then looked up and frowned, no doubt noticing the covered door and mums frit expression.

"What happened?" he asked and held mum close and she gripped the wet lapel of his suit jacket.

"Nobu started pushing mum back away from the door and then a tree fell into the garden and cracked the glass." Otto recounted and we heard the glass shatter behind the wood and the howling wind tried to get into the room, causing the temperature to drop. Dad looked at me with pride and ruffled the hair on my head.

"Well done Nobu." he smiled thankfully at me and I pushed back against his hand. He sighed and pulled back from mum, she was looking a lot calmer with her mate around. Dad went to the clean laundry pile and quickly put some dry clothes on, going to get some nails and a hammer from the garage and nailing the cork-board to the frame of the door and the howling got a little quieter, it was still getting colder though, not that it bothered me. I walked over to Ro and rubbed against his legs, he smiled down at me and ran his fingers down my back.