Chapter 17- Tumult

I woke up sometime later, I wasn't in my room. I was downstairs. I blinked a few times to try and understand what I was seeing and my blood went cold at the sight. I was standing over Ro, who was for some reason laying on his back on the front room floor and was growling ferociously at my family and they sported quite a few scratches. I stopped growling and shook my head to clear the fog that permeated my brain, I could feel my shifts presence, it had taken over my body? How? I pushed him back and he reluctantly went to where ever he usually was and I slowly regained control of my body.

I looked down at myself and yowled at the blood on my front paws and scooted away from my family and Ro, pinning myself against a wall and crying at what I'd done. I still saw the scratches on their skin and my lunch came back up and I hid under a cabinet and curled up in shame and horror, letting out fearful whimpers and cries. What was wrong with me? How could I do that to them?

"Nobu?" dad called wearily and I cried harder at his tone. I him crouch on the floor and his face appeared, my own was hid mostly hidden my by tail but he sighed in relief. "His eyes are blue again, it's him." he told my family and the seemed to sigh in relief. What did he mean? My eyes? They've always been blue? And when have I not been me? What was going on? Dad got back up of the floor and all I saw was feet again. They all spoke quietly for a while and I heard a cupboard open and close, getting the first aid kit, no doubt. I let out a yowl of despair at that. I heard footsteps coming closer and I hid my face, I couldn't stand to look at any of them.

"Nobu?" Ro spoke gently and I yowled in distress, how could I do that to my family?

'They try and take mate away.' What was that voice? It sounded like me but deeper, more guttural. 'I am you, as you are me.' The voice explained and I frowned in confusion. It couldn't be. The presence in my head felt like my shift, like I had felt when I gained back control of my body.'Our body.' he corrected in a growl, it was definitely my shift.

'Why?' I cried to him. 'Why did you hurt them? How can I hear you?'

'I already answered that.' he huffed. 'But to the latter question, hmm, we are close, you hear me well, even before we spoke. You listen to your instincts and to me, which are essentially the same thing.' he continued on. 'You and me are special. I am a cat of the mountains and we are both male and female inside, we also hold a unique bond. It is why you can control your form so well, can smell better than others, can smell the good in people, their honesty and kindness.' he explained.

'We are a tumult?' I surmised and felt his agreement at my words without having to voice it. A tumult was a shifter that could talk to their shift, tap into their heightened senses whilst in human form, they had very strong instincts, but a tumult could also be overtaken by their shift in times of distress and turmoil. The name didn't really suit the shifter, a tumult was a loud, confused noise, especially one caused by a large mass of people. It worked in some ways, but not others. There were two consciousi in my body, active and aware of each other, they were the mass of people essentially. They could contradict each other in their views and often didn't understand the others way of thinking, which was the confusion. A tumult was a rare thing, another to add to my list apparently. A scared tumult was a dangerous one as the animal side of me could completely take over, when that happened the only thing it cared for was us and our mate, it made them feared due to the carnage they could cause, but also revered and cherished due to its rarity and uniqueness.

I was distracted by my thoughts when I felt a soft and gentle weight against my flank. I shifted my tail a little so I could see and found Ro's hand caressing my thick fur, his arm stretched out under the cabinet to reach me. He was too big to fit under the furniture, in both forms, he was still trying to comfort me though.