Prologue.

The streets of a once beautiful city were being consumed by flames and smoke, screams of anguish filled the air as people ran in disarray through the chaotic streets. The world seemed to be falling apart at the seams, but one person was unaffected by it all. 

She sat alone in a beautiful room filled with all the finest and most expensive things, a large fluffy bed was covered with stuffed animals, dozens of porcelain dolls lay scattered across the floor carelessly, fine silk curtains hung at the windows, blocking out the present atrocities taking place just outside the walls of the castle, and situated before an elaborately carved wooden vanity was a little girl so entirely covered in bows and frills that at first glance she appeared to be nothing more than a doll herself. 

"Hhmmm tiara or bows?" She pondered as she held the different ornaments up to her perfectly curled H/C hair. She stared at her reflection in the vanity with a pout of concentration on her face as she switched between the hair ornaments several times. 

"Young Miss," A woman's voice called as she knocked on the door of the bedroom before she entered. She wore a dress that was both fashionable and practical and her hair was tied back in a neat bun. "I have something I must tell you," she began, her face alight with urgency and worry. 

"Which do you think looks better, tiara or bows?" The little girl interrupted her, ignoring what she had said as she continued to focus on her accessories.

"Miss, there's no time!" The woman, the young girl's governess, cried in both fear and exasperation as she took hold of the child's hand and began to pull her towards the door. "The city is about to fall to the Luccian army, and your mother ordered me to get you to safety!"

"Nonsense!" She shot back angrily as she yanked her dainty hand out of the woman's grip. "Daddy says that the Luccian's will never defeat him-" 

"The king is a mad fool!!!" Her governess exploded in anger at the man responsible for the continuation of the war that was ripping their country to shreds. "Now come with me, young miss." She said, trying to appear more calm as she extended her hand.

"No!" The young princess pouted childishly as she ran further into her room where a small table sat ready for tea, ignoring the sounds of war that were growing ever closer to the castle. "Daddy said he'd join me for a tea party, and you can't make me leave." She stuck her tongue out mockingly.

"I'm sorry Princess Y/N, but you leave me no choice," her governess sighed before she scooped the young girl up over her shoulder and began walking from the room as the sounds of the enemy soldiers reached the courtyard at the front of the castle.

"Put me down!" Y/N sobbed, thrashing to try and rid herself from the nursemaid's grip. "Put me down at once! I'm gonna tell daddy!" 

She continued to ignore the child's wailing as she walked briskly down the hall, unlike the child she understood the severity of the situation. "I promised your mother that I'd get you to safety, no matter what." She set Y/N back down on the floor, placing her hands on her shoulders.

Y/N was about to say something snarky in reply, but before she could she was interrupted by a deafening bang, moments later, the sound was repeated as the clocktower that once stood in front of the castle crashed through the roof, demolishing the room that Y/N had been in only moments before on its path to the ground. "Enicia," she whispered the name of her governess, her E/C eyes wide with fear as the gaping hole in the castle wall gave her a view of the burning city outside, screams of anguish filling her ears as smoke and ash drifted through the air. "I-I'm scared." 

A/N

So, that was the prologue, I hope you enjoyed it. ^~^

Don't worry, Y/N's character changes a lot and she isn't going to be the brat that she was in the prologue for the entire story. This was just a glimpse of her past self.

I am really excited about this book as it will expand on the Plot of The Butterfly Bracelet and Hounds of War. Don't worry if you haven't read those books first, this book will still make sense without them, (they just add a bit more depth to the world and characters.)

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~