27. A Talk with Enicia.

Meanwhile, completely oblivious to the present drama unfolding between his mother and the maid with whom he had become so completely enthralled, Crown Prince Abeloni stretched as he exited the library in which he had just concluded his morning tutoring and had half an hour of allotted time for recreation before he had to have a meeting with Dembocc Arllo about returning the privileges that had been suspended from him after the incident in front of the Palace.

He couldn't help the smug grin that stretched his handsome face as he recalled how Y/N stood up to him and how that had been the cause for the cruel Dembocc to finally get the punishment that he had coming for a very long time. That had also been the moment that had first piqued his interest in Y/N.

With his curiosity about Y/N encroaching on his mind again, he decided to pay Enicia a visit as she was the only new source of information he had. She works in the kitchens, right? He recalled as he began walking in the direction he thought they were.

After only getting lost twice he found himself at the modest wood door that opened into the large kitchens. "Good day ladies," he called cheerfully as he pushed the door open and stepped inside the kitchen. "I was wondering if Enicia was here, I would like to speak with her?"

All the maids who had previously been working froze as they saw with shock who was standing in the kitchen with them. They all dropped what they were doing, wailing and gasping in shock at the sight of the young prince as they rushed to leave. After several moments of clamoring chaos, Abeloni was alone in the kitchen apart from one maid who had curtsied low before him.

"Good day Your Highness," she said as she remained bowed before him in proper form. "It's an honor to have you in our humble presence."

Well, that at least answers where Y/N got her reserved nature from, Abeloni thought as he realized the mannerisms of this woman were so similar to Y/N's that she must be Enicia, but the question is why?

"Please, there is no need to stand on ceremony," he told the middle-aged woman with a smile. "I wish to speak with you casually if you are free."

"Of course, Your Highness," She agreed curtly, rising to her feet and hurrying to one of the recently abandoned stoves. "May I offer you some tea?"

"Tea would be lovely, thank you," he agreed as he sat down at one of the rough wooden tables, looking around the kitchen with great interest having never been inside before.

"It's my pleasure," she replied as she placed a plain tea service before him, her head bowed. "Doubtless it won't be as good as what you are used to, but I hope that it is serviceable."

His eyes went wide as he took a sip from his teacup. He was more than surprised to find that the tea was the best he had ever tasted by far, despite it being a cheaper quality than he was accustomed to. "This has to be the best cup of tea that I've ever had!"

"You flatter me too highly Your Highness," Enicia dipped her head humbly.

Just like how Y/N says it, down to the last inflection, but somehow I prefer it when Y/N says it. The Crown Prince nearly jumped as he replied that expression that he had heard from Y/N multiple times. "I mean it, it's very good," he complimented the tea again.

"Then I thank you for your kind words," she said, offering him a polite smile.

"I was wondering if I could ask you about Lady Cascia's lady-in-waiting Y/N," He finally spoke up about his real reason for coming after several minutes of silence. "You started working here together and seem to be close."

"Well, I'm not in any position to refuse, am I?" She said, casting her eyes at the table rather than meeting his gaze. "You're right Your Highness, we are very close, I've known Y/N since she was little more than a baby."

"Really?!" Abeloni nearly leaped from his chair in excitement, but cleared his throat and quickly regained his composure. "I mean, would you please tell me all about your time with her before you were employed at the palace?"

"Forgive my impertinence," she fidgeted with the sleeves of her work bouse in nervousness. "but if it's Y/N you want to know about why don't you ask her yourself, Your Highness?"

"I've tried," It was Abeloni's turn to be uncomfortable and he looked down at his tea as he explained, "but she's so shy and skittish that I never get the answers I seek."

"Very well, I will answer your questions to the best of my ability," Enicia sighed, and agreed to his request, "what would you like to know Your Highness?"

"How did you first become acquainted with Y/N?" He said at once, very exuberantly. A pink tint appeared on his cheeks as he realized how desperate he sounded.

"I found her abandoned when she was barely more than a baby and decided to take her in and raise her as my daughter," Enicia answered as she stared into the distance, though it was not the whole truth it wasn't an entire lie either.

"I see," Abeloni pulled out the journal that he recently acquired to document his information about Y/N and began writing down what she said. "What sort of work did you do if I may ask?" He asked his next question. 

"I was a spinner, Your Highness," She replied truthfully, finding no need to tell unnecessary lies. "Y/N and I ran a wool shop near the western gate for several years."

"You both are very polite and well-accustomed to the customs of high society despite being so new to the palace," he pointed out plainly, itching to know why that was. "Do you have any prior experience with nobles?"

"Well, my father was of higher birth and my mother was a gifted dance instructor but they cast me out when I refused to marry," Enicia answered truthfully, only omitting the part about working as the tutor for a princess after that. "I have led a much humbler life since then, but I wanted to raise Y/N with good manners Your Highness."

"That's very wise of you," Abeloni complimented her while he scribbled away in his journal. "And would you tell me what you know about Y/N parents if anything-" he began to ask his most important question.

"-Prince Abeloni!" He was interrupted as the kitchen door was thrown open by and winded page. "Dembocc Arllo is looking for you, Your Highness," he told him with a bow.

"Ah, thank you," He replied, getting to his feet, he purposely left his journal on the table to give himself an excuse to return and ask more questions when he had time, trusting that not of the servants would notice it and even if they did they wouldn't be able to read it. I'll do whatever it takes to satisfy my curiosity, he thought.

"Thank you for the tea Enicia, duty called so I must go, I hope you have a pleasant day," He told Enicia sincerely before he turned to follow the page, smirking at his cleverness.

A/N

Abeloni's obsession is growing.

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~