8. Lady-in-Waiting.

The following morning, Y/N awoke to find that Enicia was still in the dormitory, something that was quite unusual. Y/N quickly recalled both the events of the previous day and her conversation with her old governess. She bolted upright and jumped out of bed, rushing to get herself ready.

She could have cursed after she realized that she had put her underdress on backward and hurried to right it. She sat on the bed, lacing up her corset as quickly as she could while Enicia took the comb and began to run it through Y/N's H/C locks. The moment felt vaguely nostalgic and reminded Y/N of when Enicia had brushed her hair as a little girl, but she didn't have time to dwell on that now.

As Y/N got to her feet Enicia wrapped the girl's few belongings back up in her rust-colored shawl and handed in over, saying as she did "Here are your things, you'll probably be staying close to your new mistress, so you might as well avoid an unnecessary trip back here." Before Y/N could speak the mature woman continued, "I know that she might seem insufferable, but promise that you'll give Lady Cascia a chance, she may not be as terrible as you think."

"Thank you, and I will," Y/N agreed, bowing her head slightly to the older woman before she turned to leave the dormitory. "I promise that I'll visit you whenever I can," she called over her shoulder as she hurried down the hall.

"Best of luck," Enicia said after her. Once the young woman was out of sight she said in a much quieter tone, "Princess Y/N of Vascini."

Y/N started off with a skip in her step, but she faltered as she realized that she had no clue where lady Cascia's chambers were located within the massive palace. After several minutes of tentative, vaguely familiar, hallways Y/N managed to find the courtyard where she had retrieved the shawl the previous day but she had no clue where to go from there.

Picking one of the adjacent halls to the south Y/N began walking, hoping that if nothing else the custom of single ladies being housed in the south wing while single lords were housed in the north was the same.

It was arduous, knocking on chamber doors only to be turned away again and again as she searched for the room belonging to the high strung lady. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Y/N knocked on a door near the southern end of the second for and was greeted by an exuberant squeal as the door was opened.

"Oh, I'm so happy to see you!" Lady Cascia cried as she lunged forward and wrapped her arms around Y/N, squeezing the air from her lungs yet again. "I've been looking forward to talking to you all day! I was beginning to worry that you weren't coming at all!!"

"You still want me as your handmaiden then-" Y/N wheezed uncertainty.

"-OF COURSE!!!" The dark-haired lady interjected as though it were the most obvious thing in the world. "Now come in, come in!" She exclaimed as she dragged Y/N through the doorway after her.

The room was large, at least twice the size of Y/N's room in the Vascinian Castle. Tall arching windows lined the east and south-facing walls, offering a splendid view of the port where the tall ships docked and the bright teal bay. The sea breeze filled the tall chamber with a pleasant aroma. The walls held gilded tapestries and a bed with a lovely canopy like smoke sat against the far wall with a vanity nearby.

"This is my room! It's where we spend the most time if I'm being honest," Cascia said with a cheerful laugh as she inducted Y/N further into the room. "And that's Issi, my other lady-in-waiting!" She introduction the plump maid who Y/N recognized from the previous day. "And that's going to be my dress for the upcoming ball, isn't it pretty?!" She gestured to hideously vibrant green fabric that was draped over a mannequin in the vague shape of a dress.

"It's beautiful," Y/N said, grimacing as she inspected the fabric more carefully. She ran her hands along the fabric only to jerk them away when she noticed that residual pigment had come off on her skin. Such cheap fabric could be detrimental to Lady Cascia's health. "But my Lady, the fabric doesn't seem to have been dyed properly-" Y/N started timidly.

"-WHAT?!" Lady Cascia squealed, more appalled than angry despite her volume. "HOW COULD SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPEN?!"

"Well, different dyes require different procedures to hold their color," Y/N replied, trying to wipe the pigment off with her apron gingerly. "I guess that this fabric was purchased by someone who doesn't know where to buy quality fabric."

"That makes sense, I sent Issi to purchase the materials instead of letting mother pick everything out for me," Lady Cascia said as she sunk to the floor, tears filling her eyes as she cupped her hands around her cheeks. "This means that I won't have a new dress for the ball, doesn't it?!" She asked, trying not to cry.

"I'm so sorry my lady!! This is all my fault!!" Issi lamented remorsefully, falling to her knees in mortification at her blunder. "You should fire me for my incompetence!!!"

"Calm down both of you," Y/N said in a kind but firm tone as she crossed the room to the vanity and used the stationary there to write out a very detailed list of pigments, fabrics, and other supplies that would be needed. She wasn't used to working with the most luxurious resources, so she would have to make do with less fine things, but she was confident that a beautiful dress could still be produced in time for the fast-approaching ball. "I may not be an expert tailor, but I think I know enough that I can get you new materials at least."

Once the ink had dried she crossed to where the other maid still knelt slumped on the ground. "Here Issi, get exactly the materials written on the list and bring them back here," she said in the same stern but gentle tone. "No one will be the wiser."

A/N

Y/N and here practical knowledge to the rescue!

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~