44. Morbid Tea.

The next morning came much sooner than expected and after enduring an agonizing sleepless night Y/N was met by the sight of the exuberant crown prince at her chamber door much sooner than she would have liked. With no time to ask Lady Cascia to borrow one of her tea gowns, Y/N simply dressed in the nicest work clothes she had before following Abeloni down the hallway.

It's not like it really mattered if she made a good impression on the king and queen anyway, if everything went as planned they would all be dead before noon. She felt strangely numb at the thought that every step she took was a step closer to her inevitable death, but she kept walking even so.

Abeloni was too excited about finally introducing the woman he was in love with to his parents that he didn't notice she was more subdued than normal, or that her face was slowly draining of color. However oblivious he was in his exhilaration he noticed when Y/N began to tremble as they approached the ornate gilded doors that led into the parlor where the king and queen awaited them.

"Don't be frightened Y/N," He told her soothingly, offering her his usual laid-back smile. "My parents will love you," he added convinced that with her charming personality it would be impossible to not love her.

"I hope so," Y/N murmured, appreciating his attempt to comfort her even though his words did little to soothe the dread and guilt she felt knowing that she was about to kill him, his family, and herself.

"Well, I know so," he said grinning as he placed a shy kiss on her cheek before throwing the door to the parlor open without knocking.

Dead silence filled the air as Y/N and Abeloni looked through the open doorway to see the king and queen of Luccia sitting on the far side of the tea-table tangled in each other's arms as they kissed like passionate lovers, their ornate clothes a bit disheveled from the wanting embrace.

The pair looked up moments after the sound of the door opening was heard, they both blushed in embarrassment and quality disentangled themselves, the king cleared his throat awkwardly. "Oh, um, hello there son, didn't expect you two so soon..."

"Obviously..." The prince whispered in Y/N's ear causing her to let out a small giggle. Taking on a more formal aura he looked across the room and gestured to the woman by his side elegantly. "Mother father I would like to present Y/N, she is the lady-in-waiting to Lady Cascia Biustanini and is very special to me."

"It is an honor and a pleasure to make your acquaintances Your Majesties," Y/N knelt on the ground before them and bowed her head. Her body trembled, unable to control the swirl of emotions that had taken hold as she stood before the two people responsible for the destruction of everything she loved and cherished. Hatred, disgust, fear, none of which she could let be heard in her voice although they all clawed at her throat to escape.

"Rise," The king spoke in a commanding tone that caused Y/N's skin to crawl. "There is no need to stand on ceremony, this is supposed to be an informal tea where we get to know each other personally after all."

"Yes, your Majesty," she replied solemnly and respectfully as she returned to her feet before allowing Abeloni to guide her to the chairs across the table from his parents. 

"Do tell me more about yourself," king Ilidoro asked, still a bit embarrassed from being walked in on earlier. "It is unusual to meet someone with the same name as my wife after all," he added with an amused chuckle, his indigo eyes twinkling through the smile lines that sat around them.

"I was abandoned as a baby Your Majesty and taken in by a spinster who took pity on me," Y/N answered with the well-rehearsed lie, dipping her head as she spoke, unable to look him in the eye despite his kindness. "She raised me like a daughter and still cares for me now that we are in the Palace.

"Abeloni dear," The queen had been staring at Y/N in silent shock, surprised beyond belief that the woman her son was so enamored with was the same woman who had made an attempt on her life and was the daughter of an enemy king, finally regained her ability to speak. "How did you and Y/N first meet?" She asked he son, trying to conceal the concern she felt.

"I was the one to appoint her to the role of Cascia's lady-in-waiting upon Cascia's request," He responded at once, in his exhilaration oblivious to the worried look on his mothers face. "but I don't think we properly interacted until the ball celebrating my coronation." He glanced towards Y/N and she nodded to confirm his words.

"Ah, I see," She nodded in understanding before turning her attention to Y/N with a cold stare. "What is your relationship with my son?"

"Mother, she is dear to me, are such questions really necessary-" Abeloni shot up, upset that his mother was being so direct and insensitive. Another part of him was nervous about how she would answer such a question.

"It's alright," Y/N interrupted him gently, answering the Queen's question in the most elegant way she could. "Abeloni is dear to me too, he's been nothing but kind to me and he even saved my life, he is a good friend." She thought, a sad smile gracing her lips as she recalled all the sweet moments she had shared with him, the dance they shared at his coronation, jumping out that window to try and evade him, that time when he had saved her from drowning, when she had broken his nose when she tried archery, and especially that recent evening it the courtyard when they had almost kissed.

Her throat tightened up and her eyes stung as she imagined for a moment what would have been between them if only she was an abandoned commoner instead of Princess Y/N of Vascini. She almost felt like laughing at the cruel irony of it all, she had broken hearts before because of her secret identity and now her own heart was being broken by the same thing.

"Would you look at that, the tea is finally here," the king exclaimed, breaking Y/N's train of thought. "It smells divine." He complimented Enicia as she set the steamy teapot on the table and poured them all a glass. Her stony continence remained frozen and she didn't make eye contact with Y/N once while she prepared the tea, then she was gone.

"As our guest, it's only fair that you get to try the tea first," King Ilidoro told her with a courteous smile.

"You are kind Your Majesties, but I wouldn't want to overstep my place as a meer lady-in-waiting," Y/N said, trying to avoid drinking from the cup before her if she could. The steam rising from the water was fragrant and delicious but all it made her think of was death. "Being in your presence is a great honor, please enjoy the tea."

"Oh my, what a polite woman you are," the king gushed, liking her more and more by the minute as a potential lover for his son. "Thank you for your manners but I insist you have the first cup."

"Thank you very much," Y/N concealed the dread she felt in her voice as she picked up her teacup with trembling hands and raised it to her lips. She took the smallest sip she could before placing it back on the saucer. "It's delicious, like no tea I've ever tasted before." She said, despite the warmness of the tea it felt like ice as it traveled down her throat.

"I must say, it smells delicious," The king agreed as he breathed in the pleasant aroma rising from his cup.

"Y-yeah," she stammered, her vision already beginning to cloud and blur, but she struggled to remain composed as she began to feel nauseous. Not yet, I can't succumb to the poison until they drink it too, she thought desperately.

"Y/N?! Are you alright?!" Abeloni asked her, his worried continence only vaguely visible as her vision began to swim with black dots and strange lightheadedness accompanied her dizziness. "Y/N?!" His panicked and distorted cry was the last thing she heard before the blackness dancing before her eyes consumed her.

A/N

Do you think that Y/N will survive the poison? And even if she does will her cover be blown?

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~