42. Kindling Romance.

The days flew by and before Y/N realized it, it was the day that Abeloni had planned something for her to wear the necklace he gave her. She was still salty from how close he had come to punishing those innocent women and she thought about not going to meet him that night, but in the end, she decided to show up.

She dressed in the bright red dress that Cascia had given to her after the ball. She pulled the jet-black gloves on and fastened the new necklace that Abeloni had given her and headed off to meet him in the secluded courtyard where she had run into him the other day.

The courtyard was bathed in gold, peach, and vermilion light from the setting sun. Abeloni stepped towards her, dressed very formally in deep blue velvet, a golden circlet even sat atop his chocolate curls. His face lit up with a smile as bright as the sun that had already disappeared behind the palace walls and his teal eyes sparkled as he caught sight of her.

He was filled with joy but at the same time, his heart pounded with nervousness. Swallowing hard as he walked up to her he opened his mouth to greet her, "Y/N you-you look..." He was unable to find the words, to him she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Swallowing a second time he tried again, "Y/N you look stunning."

"Oh my, don't you think it's a bit early in the evening to be stretching the truth so much?" Y/N rebuked him to maintain her aloof air while hoping he didn't notice the rosy hue that had sprung to her cheeks from his bold compliment. Regaining her composure almost at once she continued "Especially after what you almost did to all those innocent women."

Abeloni smiled at her business-like manner that had grown so much on him since they first met. "I'm saying nothing but the truth, you are radiant to me," He told her with a genuine smile on his good-natured face. "And, that was definitely a mistake on my part, but we're past that now right?" He asked awkwardly, not wanting to dwell on his previous mistake.

Y/N didn't respond and remained silent. It was clear that she had yet to forgive him and recalling the whole affair had caused her to become more than a little cross.

"Come ooonnnn," Abeloni pestered her, leaning to try and look her in the face, but she just turned her head away from him huffily. "I let them all go just like you asked, so it's all good right?" He asked, starting to grow truly concerned about what she thought of him.

"You still caused them a lot of trouble and worry," she scolded him pointedly, crossing her arms and still refusing to look his way.

"How-How about I offer them all some sort of compensation, would that stop you being angry at me?" Abeloni asked, wildly trying to come up with something that would make her less upset at him.

"It's a good start," she finally relented, unable to resist his cute pestering any longer. "but you're not forgiven just yet," she added in a firmer tone just to be sure that he didn't think what happened was alright.

"I'll take a good start!" Abeloni accepted at once, just happy that she was no longer openly angry at him, his face relaxing back into a bashful smile. "I-I mean your wish is my command," he added his confidence faltering at the bold statement.

"You're really laying the flattery on thick this evening aren't you, Your Highness?" She responded bluntly to try and hide the blush that had reappeared on her cheeks by acting aloof.

"Come on! I've saved your life, you broke my nose and you still won't call me by my name!" Abeloni whined, exasperated, a pout forming on his lips as he huffed. "What will it take-"

"-Please don't make such a fuss," Y/N interrupted covering her mouth to try and hide the giggles that she couldn't control at how easily she was able to upset him just by not using his name, "I was just jesting with you Abeloni." She continued to laugh as his face quickly morphed into one of embarrassment, his ears and cheeks turning pink.

"Oh my heart," Abeloni gasped, clutching the fabric over his chest overdramatically. "What am I to do, you and your games will be the death of me one day, I'm sure!" He stated in an exasperated manner, but he smiled at her too.

Before more could be said flower petals began drifting down, thrown from the top of the walls surrounding the courtyard by the unseen hands of many servants. Each one floated delicately, dancing in the gentle wind and catching the last light of sunset like jewels as they fell towards the ground around the couple. Abeloni fumbled nervously, watching Y/N's every move to see if she liked the surprise.

"Raining flower petals?" She asked, raising an eyebrow at the rather tacky move as she smirked at him.

"There's... More..." He murmured, his face entirely red from embarrassment as he turned away and looked at the ground.

"Oh!" She gasped, her E/C eyes growing wide at the sight of countless amounts of butterflies suddenly filling the air. The servants had been ordered by the prince to catch as many of them as they could and release them into the courtyard to try and woo her. Their many colorful wings caught the light of the sun and glowed like magic, holding Y/N spellbound as they danced through the air.

"It's too much, isn't it?" Abeloni asked self-consciously. "I'm sorry, this is my first time ever - never mind," he briefly darted his gaze to Y/N's face before quickly returning them to the ground as his face burned with embarrassment.

"No, tell me what you were going to say," Y/N asked, at once far more interested in what the prince had been about to say than the grand spectacle he had put on for her. "please?" She begged him.

"I-I wasn't going to say anything, I don't know what you're talking about," He stammered defensively as he turned his face further away from her to try and hide his flaming red cheeks. I can't tell her that this is my first time being interested in a woman, she'd be sure to laugh at me, he thought self-consciously.

"Well, fine!" Y/N folded her arms, feeling quite cross that he wouldn't tell her what he was going to say. "I guess I won't tell you anything else about myself either," Y/N added smugly, sure that with his great interest in her such a threat would loosen his tongue.

"And that's fine with me," he caught her off guard by moving closer to her and taking her hands gently in his.  "Don't misunderstand I want to know everything there is to know about you Y/N, but for tonight just being by your side is enough." His lips stretched into a charming smile and his blue eyes glittered with affection as he gazed down at her.

"That's the kindest thing you've ever said to me... Abeloni," Y/N stammered, her face suddenly overwhelmed by a blush from how close she suddenly realized the prince was and his flirtatious words.

Abeloni's heart felt like it was pounding in his throat as his face drew closer and closer to hers. "I-I'll have to work on saying kinder things to you then..." He was hardly paying attention to the words that left his mouth as his face was now so close to Y/N's that he could feel her quick breaths against his cheek. His eyes began to flutter as his attention was hypnotically drawn to Y/N's supple lips.

Y/N's mind was in a haze as he leaned in to kiss her and at the same time, it felt like her thoughts were racing like the wind. Overwhelmed by the situation and by the tumultuous emotions that had suddenly sprung up within her she pulled her hands away and took several steps back. "W-well, the butterflies and flower petals were all lovely, but I-I should be going. I do have work tomorrow," she said quickly and nervously.

"Of-of course," Abeloni stuttered rather disoriented from the sudden change of atmosphere in the secluded courtyard.

"Thank you for doing all this for me, I enjoyed it," Y/N said, smiling at him shyly before crossing the grass and entering the palace.

The sight of such a coy expression on her face overwhelmed his already excited emotions to the point where he had to stand there as still as stone for several minutes to process just how beguiled he was by her. "Of course..." He whispered after she was long gone, brushing his fingers to his lips.

A/N

Aww! These two are so cute! Sometimes I forget that Abeloni is a yandere just because he's so cute. ^~^

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~