46. Queen Y/N of Luccia pt2.

"Y/N... Y/N..."

Y/N heard the muffled sound of someone calling her name. Her head was throbbing terribly and her mouth and throat felt painfully dry and tasted of bile. Every part of her body ached and she felt herself trembling from head to foot.

"Y/N..."

Someone was saying her name again, the voice was feminine and sounded familiar. Y/N struggled to open her eyes, abstract colors and light swam before them for several seconds before she could make out the blurry face of a woman with H/C hair. Her face although blurry was unmistakable.  "M-Mother..." She said in a weak raspy voice, tears coming to her eyes at the thought of being able to see her mother again, her throat felt like it had needles scratching it and she couldn't say anymore.

"No, I'm not your mother," the woman said in the same gentle tone she had used before as she looked down at Y/N, "do you know who I am?"

She blinked several times, each time the woman's face became clearer until Y/N could make out the light that was caught in the sapphire hair ornaments in her H/C locks and the faint lines on her elegant face. "Your-Your Majesty?!" She exclaimed struggling to sit up. Waves of pain shot from her throat to her whole body and she regretted both her exclamation and her quick movement.

"Shh," The queen soothed her from where she sat on the edge of the bed Y/N was presently occupying. "just lay back, you almost died, there's no need to stand on ceremony."

"W-where..." Y/N tried to ask where she was but her voice broke before she could fully voice her question. From where she lay she could see past the Luccian queen dripping in expensive jewels to the rest of the room. It had large arching stone windows that allowed both sunlight and the sea breeze to flood into the large chamber.

"You are in the royal infirmary," she answered, her voice as light and feathery as ever. "You fainted while having tea with us, poor Abeloni was beside himself with worry. You were poisoned and have been unconscious for the past four days. The physicians were worried that you wouldn't survive for a while."

"Why-why are you-" The majority of Y/N's memories of drinking the poison tea had come back, but she still couldn't understand why the queen was at her bedside.

"My son has been too concerned about your health to think of anything else. He's been at your side constantly, he's refused to eat and sleep. He collapsed from exhaustion earlier today and I have been watching over both of you since then." She glanced pensively at the bed next to Y/N's.

Y/N turned her head to look as well and saw the handsome crown prince sprawled over the cot, his skin even paler than normal and his long chocolate curls a complete mess over the pillows.

Queen Y/N's eyes glimmered with affection as she gazed down at her son's sleeping face. "I can tell that he loves you a lot... He's so like his father..." She whispered the last part but Y/N still heard her.

Deciding to ignore her comment about Abeloni's affections for the time being Y/N instead decided to ask if they had any idea who had poisoned them. "D-do you know... Who... Who..." Her voice failed her before she could ask the full question again. 

"Who poisoned the tea?" She completed the question that Y/N was unable to, turning her attention away from her son. "The investigation is still open but I do have a guess."

"Y-You do?" Y/N stammered, her blood running cold as she struggled to remain calm.

"Yes. It's been proven that it was the tea that was poisoned and the only one who handed it was the recently promoted Enicia. She was a suspect at first but once it was discovered her close relation to you she was beyond suspicion. The king is stumped but I think I know who's responsible... You did it didn't you?" The Queen's eyes didn't hold the same warmth that they had when she had first awoken, instead, they were serious and cold as she looked down at where she lay. 

Y/N did her best to keep her face impartial but on the inside, she was terrified. She refused to say anything, thinking this might be some elaborate interrogation scheme and that someone could have been listening outside of the hall.

"I know who you are, and you've already made at least one attempt on my life. Don't worry, I still haven't revealed your identity to anyone, but I won't hold my tongue any longer if you refuse to answer my question honestly. Did you have Enicia poison the tea?" She pressed her and when she noticed that Y/N still seemed reluctant to answer she added "Don't worry, I've asked that we not be disturbed. No one can hear what you say except for me."

Not seeing any point in lying considering the Queen had already caught her attempting one assassination and knew her true identity she told the truth. Unable to speak she merely nodded her head as she skewed up her face to keep from crying.

"Then why did you drink it, even though you knew it would most likely kill you?" The queen continued to question her, her eyebrows knitting together in confusion.

"W-What is there left for me to live for..." Y/N spluttered, pushing through the terrible pain in her throat to speak as tears began to slide from her eyes. That was it, she had failed for the final time and would surely be executed. She wished that the poison had just killed her instead. "The only reason I deserve to be alive is to avenge my people..."

"You know, I really ought to make good on my threat to expose you now that you have made a second attempt on the lives of my family," the Queen sighed, turning away from Y/N and staring at her hands instead. "But I can't."

"W-Why... I deserve it..." Y/N asked, feeling even worse than if the Queen had been angry at her. The pity in her voice was ten times worse to hear, it reminded Y/N just how much of a failed assassin she was and she hated it.

"I suppose it's partly because I feel responsible for this, you and your people wouldn't have suffered as they did if I hadn't told Ilidoro to burn Vascini to the ground because of my blind hatred for your father..." Her voice trailed off as guilt became apparent on her noble face. She lifted one of Y/N's hands in hers and examined the burns on her arms sadly. "These scars on your young skin and soul, they are because of my thirst for revenge. I can't bring myself to reproach you despite your attempts to kill my family... I did the same to yours after all."

Turning her guilt-ridden face towards the bed where her son still lay unconscious her features instantly softened. "It's also because of my son," she continued with a small smile, "watching him tirelessly remain by your side these past four days it's clear to me that he loves you with his whole heart. And since he loves you so dearly it doesn't matter to me who you are, all that matters is if you love him the way that he loves you."

"H-How can I..." Y/N sobbed, covering her face with her hand. She couldn't deny that her heart fluttered when she thought of Abeloni and she found herself thinking about him, but despite what she felt she couldn't permit herself to love him not with who she was. "I've tried to kill him... And he's the son of..." She couldn't bear to say that he was the son of the two people responsible for the destruction of her home and family.

"You are so similar to me Y/N, it is a marvel." The Queen commented, beginning to reflect on her own past and relay it to the crying girl laying next to her. "I once hated Ilidoro, because of his meddling my old life and family were all taken from me... But he also saved my life. Because of him I can now live in peace and have my beautiful son. He did destroy my old life, but it would be a lie if I said that old life was a joyful one."

"W-What are you saying..." Y/N asked, through her tears and burning throat, unable to grasp the message she was trying to relay.

"I was once known as Y/N of the house of Magnifico, a pitiful girl who was at the mercy of all those around her, but once I married Ilidoro I chose to let go of the meekness that once inhabited me and open my heart to love again. I am now Queen Y/N of Luccia and Y/N Magnifico is as good as dead." The queen abruptly stood from where she had been sitting on Y/N's cot and smoothed her embroidered skirt. Looking down at Y/N she stated in a sage tone, "Perhaps Princess Y/N of Vascini did succumb to the poison. If she died then you could simply be Y/N and seek out a new life of happiness." Without another word to Y/N she turned and placed a kiss on Abeloni's forehead and walked gracefully out of the infirmary, leaving Y/N alone with her thoughts.

A/N

I think that Queen Y/N has such a unique aura for a character, she is stern but benevolent. I hope that you like her character as well. ^~^

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~