48. Decisions to be Made.

It had been several days since Y/N had awoken from her attempted poisoning and she had finally recovered enough to leave the Royal Infirmary. Abeloni had been a practically constant visitor during her stay, showering her with gifts and affection.

Although she was at first unnerved by his complete lack of subtly around expressing his feelings she assumed that it was just his strange way of portraying the relief he felt at her recovery and that he would return to his old self soon, she was wrong. Instead of his passions mellowing they seemed to be increasing with every day that passed.

Odd as it was at the time to receive near-constant affirmations of love from someone without a shred of social anxiety left part of her did find it cute, but her conflicted emotions over what to do with her life kept her from enjoying the attention as fully as most women would have in her position.

Now that she was cleared to walk around the first thing she did was go and talk to Enicia and Törrsk, then lady Cascia and Issi. Upon talking to them she was surprised to hear that they all had not been given any information about if she had recovered and hadn't been allowed to see her by order of the Crown Prince. Cascia had been in a hysterical crying fit for days, Törrsk hadn't spoken a word to anyone, and although Enicia seemed to be unbothered she began shaking like a leaf when she first saw Y/N standing in the doorway to the servant's parlor.

After assuring them all that she was just fine she left much sooner than they would have liked her to. She was confused why Abeloni had banned them all from visiting her but practically spent all day with her himself. She had made up her mind to ask him though, but first, she had to find where he was within the giant palace.

After asking around she was told that he was in his study and given directions to it. As she approached the door that led to his study she stopped as she heard the sound of angry shouting from within. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU STILL DON'T HAVE ANY IDEA WHO POISONED THE TEA?!" She flinched as she recognized crown prince Abeloni's voice.

"Please, calm down Your Highness-" she heard another, much less angry, voice coming from within the chamber.

"CALM?!" Abeloni exploded, causing Y/N to jump in surprise where she was listening at the door. "HOW CAN I BE CALM WHEN THE LOVE OF MY LIFE AND THE FUTURE QUEEN NEARLY DIED?!"

Y/N had to cup her hand over her mouth to keep from gasping when she heard him refer to her as the future Queen, but she was more concerned for the well-being of the poor soul who was in there with him. I better try and defuse the situation, it sounds like Abeloni is about to rip that poor man limb from limb. Gathering her courage she pushed the door open to see the crown prince towering over a cowering footman. "Abeloni I was told I would find you here, but if now's a bad time I can-"

"Oh Y/N!!!" He exclaimed, his blue eyes filling with stars as his anger evaporated and was replaced by pure joy as he rushed to embrace her and spin her around in the air. "You have no idea how happy I am that you came to visit me!!!" He nuzzled his cheek against hers, his previous conversation and the presence of the other person forgotten entirely.

"I-I came here to ask you something," Y/N stammered. She wanted to give him a piece of her mind for banning everyone from seeing her but after hearing how angry he was moments before she thought it would be best to confront him when there was no one else around that could be turned into collateral damage. "I was wondering if you would meet me on the balcony tonight after dark, we can talk about it more then."

"Of course!" He agreed at once, grinning from ear to ear. "I'm already excited!"

. . .

Once the moon had risen and Y/N was sure that everyone but the night guard was asleep she slipped out of her chambers and crept through the dark hallways of the palace until she reached the empty ballroom. She shuddered, at night the room was quite early and she could hear her footsteps echoing in the cavernous space. What am I even doing?  I was going to confront him about keeping my friends away from me but after I heard him yelling like that... She thought as she continued through the hall. And now I asked him here to kill him, possibly.