40. How Did You Manage it?!

Y/N sat on the edge of her bed in her tiny chambers early in the morning. In her palms she held the necklace that Abeloni had gifted her several days ago, despite her misgivings about it, she couldn't help but admire its incredible craftsmanship and beauty. 

Even though it reminded her of the bracelet her father had gifted her long ago she did her best to push those thoughts away so that she could enjoy the fluttering in her chest she felt knowing that it was a gift from the prince. She had been courted before but something about his gift and courtship felt different.

She shook her head to try and quench her emotions. She had turned down suitors before and Abeloni would be no different, his courtship was only tolerable because it would make killing him and his family easier. She quickly hid the piece of jewelry under her lumpy mattress just to be safe before she straightened up and exited her room.

She walked down the hall to her lady's room and after briefly conversing with Cascia who immediately began pestering her about Abeloni's affection for her she managed to excuse herself by taking the laundry that needed washing. Having no choice but to do the laundry she balanced the basket on her hip and began walking down the hallway.

"Y/N! Lady Y/N!" She had barely managed to round the bend at the end of the hall from Lady Cascia's chamber when someone called her name. She turned and dropped the laundry basket in surprise when she saw a practical flock of women running towards her down the hall in her direction.

"W-who are you?" She stammered as they encircled her in the otherwise deserted passage with her back against the wall. Now that she got a closer look at the women she could tell that not only were they a variety of ages, but from the varying complexity and color of their dresses they came from a variety of classes as well.

"Tell us how you did it!" A chipper-looking maid said with great impatience as she pushed her way to the front of the group of women. "What's your secret?"

"Did what?" Y/N asked, feeling both confused and unnerved by all the women who were pressing in on her with an eager face. "I'm sorry but I don't know what you're talking about and I need to get to work-" she told them as she grabbed the laundry basket and tried to push her way out of the crowd.

"Wait please!" A very noble-looking lady interrupted her, a touch of desperation on her pretty face. "Just tell us how you were able to get crown prince Abeloni to fall in love with you!"

"I-"Y/N stopped, taken entirely off guard. She hadn't done anything to gain Abeloni's affection, far from it, she had actually done everything in her power to lose his interest for a while.

"That's right! We've all been trying to catch his eyes for years," another noblewoman chimed in, sounding incredibly exasperated. "And forgive me for saying this but he had been oblivious to it all, we were beginning to think that he didn't like ladies in that way if you know what I mean." Her face turned a bright shade of red as she mentioned the risque gossip about the prince that had become quite popular in the court.

"I-I'm sorry to disappoint you but it was never my intention to win the affection of the Crown Prince-" Y/N tried to explain, feeling bad that she couldn't offer better advice to all these women. She had only ever had to worry about turning down suitors, not how to attract them.

"Come on dear there's no need to be modest, it's just us ladies here and we promise to keep everything you say in confidence," an older and quite stately looking woman told her chidingly.  "I personally want to learn your technique so that I can prevent my husband's wandering eye."

The Crown Prince's affection for her was far from discrete and there was scarcely a soul in the whole of the palace who had not noticed his recent courtship for the lady-in-waiting.

"I'm sorry but I-" Y/N felt worse by the minute. She wanted to help these ladies with their romantic troubles but she didn't have the slightest idea how she would do that.

Now, what is all this racket about?! Abeloni thought as he walked down the hall towards Lady Cascia's chambers with the intent of giving a bouquet of flowers from the palace garden to Y/N when he was distracted by the sound of clamoring voices. He peeked his head around the turn in the hallway and saw a great group of women all pressing in on one servant girl, his heart skipped a beat when he saw that she was Y/N.  Ah, I see! I've seen this very scenario in all of my romance books, these ladies are jealous that Y/N has acquired the affection of the dashing prince, me, and are bullying her. Now I get to swoop in and save the day and she's sure to fall even more in love with me.

He smoothed his hair and rolled his shoulders back, puffing out his chest, before he strode around the corner confidently. Don't worry Y/N, your hero has arrived, he thought as he cleared his throat to get their attention "Hello ladies, is there a problem. here? Are these ladies bothering you Y/N?" He asked her pointedly.

Oh no! He probably thinks they were bullying me when they just wanted relationship advice, Y/N panicked, not wanting the well-meaning ladies to get it trouble. "Oh no! We we just having a friendly chat Your Highness."

Is she so scared of them that she'll lie to me to cover for them, that's precious? Abeloni felt a foreign temper flare within him at the thought of Y/N. He shooed the women away who scattered like a flock of frightened chickens. "It's alright Y/N, you can tell me the truth, I promise you'll be safe." He stared at her sternly with his bright teal eyes.

"But-But I just told you," Y/N stammered, a chill traveling down her spine when she saw just how angry he was.

A/N

Haha... I'm tired. ^~°

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~