41. Almost Disastrous.

Abeloni had been in a foul mood ever since he had come across that group of women crowding Y/N in the hall. It irritated him to no end that Y/N had covered for those women who had obviously been bullying her. He paced around his office, thinking, trying to think of the best way to punish them.

What else could they have been doing? He thought, racking his brain for any other reason that random assortment of women was there, but no matter how long he stewed on it he couldn't come up with any other reason. Nothing, it's obvious that they were bullying her, I mean that's what happens in all the research books I've read so it has to be true. He recalled that jealous bullying was a staple in all of the romance books he had read to prepare.

I can't forget the surprise that I am planning for Y/N at the end of the week, he thought recalling with a sudden jolt that it was still only half-planned, but right now I need to focus on protecting her from those monsters. He shook his head decisively, the romantic evening could wait, this situation was far more important.

He continued to pace, squeezing his eyes shut to better recall the faces of the guilty women who had been in the crowd. His temples began to throb from the concentration that he was putting his mind under, but he didn't stop. At least it clicked, the tall older woman was Lady Arllo, the wife of the awful Dembocc Arllo.

"Summon Lady Arllo to my office at once!" He shouted through the door to the guards standing outside. "I have some questions to ask her." He was going to get the names of the other woman who were involved with bullying Y/N and then he was going to make an example of them all.

. . .

Finally, some peace and quiet, Y/N thought as she hung out the sheets to dry in the courtyard, enjoying the feeling of the gentle breeze that brushed against her face. I can finally focus on my work-

"-Y/N! Y/N!" She was startled out of her serenity when her name was suddenly shouted from the other side of the courtyard. Whirling to look for the source of the shouting she saw Issi, the plump lady-in-waiting who served Lady Cascia with her, running across the small stretch of grass towards her. "You need to come quickly!"

"Issi?" The sheet she was pinning up slipped through her fingers as she placed her hands on the distraught maid's shoulders. "What is it? What's wrong?" She asked, her concern growing by the moment.

"It-it's the Crown Prince," She stammered in fear, her round rosy face the palest she had ever seen it. "He's gathered up women from all over the palace in the East Hall and says that he's going to make an example out of them for bullying you." She explained, still frantic from the shock of it all.

"Are you serious?!" Y/N asked, looking deep into her frightened eyes, hardly believing what she had heard.

"Y-Yes," Issi stammered, the intensity in her fellow lady-in-waiting's eyes causing a chill to run down her spine. 

"I have to stop him!" Y/N exclaimed as she rushed past Issi and dashed out of the grassy and tranquil courtyard. She tore through the halls of the palace, skidding around corners and knocking into people without time to spare to apologize.

I only hope I'm not too late, she thought as she continued to run through the expansive palace, her lungs were starting to burn but she couldn't afford to stop. She remembered in flashes how brutal her own father had been in punishing those who he thought had wronged her, and she thought that the son of the man who had killed him would surely be more ruthless still.

"ABELONI!" Y/N hollered as she threw the doors of the East Hall open and saw the women who had asked her for advice the other day were kneeling before the prince in fear, the crown prince stood before them all, a wicked smirk twisting his normally goodnatured face. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?" She thundered.

"Y-Y/N," He stammered, his expression morphing into a joyful smile at the arrival of the woman who had brought such wonder and intrigue into his life. "It's great that you're here, just in time to help me decide the punishment of these women who bullied you, isn't it wonderful?" He asked, truly expecting her to be relieved.

"No!" Y/N spat as she strode across the room to confront him, both angry and exasperated by his actions. "No, it is not wonderful at all! Nothing is wonderful about innocent people being punished!"

"Innocent, hardly," He scoffed, shooting a glare down at the assorted women kneeling before him. "These are the women who bullied you-"

"They weren't bullying me!" Y/N snapped as she stood defiantly before the young crown prince, she stood in the palace of his father, with guards that would answer his every command standing by, he held all the power in that situation yet she still dared to change him. She started up at him with unyielding eyes the same deep E/C as her father's. It was at times like these that it shown painfully clear through her veins ran noble blood, although no one present could recognize that. "They were asking me for romance advice, you idiot!"

Abeloni took a step back at her insults and felt a chill travel up his spine, but instead of being wounded a placid smile sat upon his lips. Even when she reprimands me I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, wow, so this is love, he chuckled at how amusing it was to be so enthralled by her. Regaining his composure he asked "W-What do you mean Y/N? I saw them all crowding around you."

"Yes, because they wanted my advice one their romance lives," Y/N sighed, crossing her arms and tutting. "So let them go." She demanded, her manners forgotten.

The guards who stood on either side of the group of women looked at each other in disbelief at seeing a humble servant command the heir to the Luccian throne. "You heard her," Abeloni told them sharply, and they obeyed at once. The frightened women hurried quickly to the door. "Now, while you're here Y/N I was wondering if you would accompany me-" he tried to address Y/N but slumped when he saw she had already left.

A/N

This update is outside of my normal schedule, but along with updating on Saturday I will also try and finish chapters in my other books as frequently as I can.

I hope you enjoyed today's chapter and,

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~