55. Mad Escape.

Abeloni had to partly support Y/N as they hurried up the narrow staircase that led out of the prison, spending the whole night kneeling on the cold stone floor and leaving Enicia behind making her steps slow and unsteady. Once they reached the top of the spiral stairs and slipped through the door they were blinded by the bright morning light filling the hallway outside.

Y/N stopped cold and let out a gasp when she saw the two guards who had been standing by either side of the door slumped on the ground with an arrow protruding out of each of their heads, a trail of blood running over their faces.

Noticing that she had stopped Abeloni wrapped his arm more securely around her as he unslung his bow from around his arm. "I know that this has all been hard on you Y/N, but we have to keep moving otherwise-"

"-Who goes there?! He was cut off by the sudden shouting of two patrolling guards who had appeared at the end of the hallway. They stood in shock for a moment, staring at the two dead men, and Prince Abeloni holding a bow and woman hidden in his cloak.

"Run, Y/N RUN!!" He gripped her by the shoulders to keep her from stumbling as they took off at a sprint through the halls.

"STOP!" The guards commanded, their heavy metal boots thundering on the stone floor as they gave chase. "WE CAN'T LET THE CROWN PRINCE ESCAPE WITH THAT TRAITOR!" They got the attention of more guards as they pursued them.

Prince Abeloni guided Y/N along as they raced through the halls. He held her up to prevent her from stumbling as they tore up and down stairs, around sharp corners, and through green courtyards. "Come on Y/N, this way!" He urged her after several minutes of running as they slipped through a narrow doorway and found themselves in a claustrophobic hallway barely a shoulder's width wide. He tugged her along the narrow space, having to run sideways to fit through. Eventually, they reached a tiny spiral staircase, and Abeloni encouraged Y/N on, saying reassuringly. "We're almost out, don't worry!"

At the top of the stairs, there was another narrow door that Abeloni threw open. The sun shone down directly on them and after being in the dark space in between the bricks for so long Y/N was at first entirely blinded and had to trust that he wouldn't lead her astray as they continued to run. Blinking several times her eyes adjusted enough to realize that they were on top of the great wall that surrounded the entirety of the Palace grounds.

She could see the end of the wall in the distance, and the large main gate she had first entered the palace through which felt like a lifetime ago, but before she became absorbed by all her memories at the Palace she was startled by a whistling that passed by her ear. Turning her head, she saw that more guards had burst from the door behind them and some were holding crossbows pointed in their direction. "Kill that Traitor but don't hit the crown prince!" They shouted as they reloaded the bolts in their weapons.

Y/N stumbled in fear, her heart hammering in her chest, but Abeloni steadied her and pushed her in front of him. He moved between her and the pursuing soldiers, protecting her from being shot by standing in the line of fire. By this point they had nearly reached the end of the wall, only two guards stood in their way.
"OUT OF THE WAY!" He snarled at them, unslinging his bow from his shoulder and notching an arrow as they raced forward.

The two men knew how skilled of an archer the crown prince was and quickly dropped their weapons and crouched down on the sandy stones that composed the battlements. "W-what now?!" Y/N asked, a touch of panic in her voice as she gasped for air. They could go no further on the wall and even if they could she doubted that she could run much further.

"We jump!" He answered, a wide grin stretching his handsome features and a devious twinkle appearing in his teal eyes as before she could react he had picked her up and jumped over the stone battlements. Y/N screamed as the cobblestones came closer and closer, but her cry was cut short as the wind was knocked from her lungs and a cloud of white powder rose in the air around them.