7. The Power of the Written Word.

Y/N's mind was in a jumble for the remainder of the day. She barely registered where she was going, wandering aimlessly as she thought over the events of the afternoon. A headache began to pound in her temples as she thought of the hyper energy of lady Cascia.

Her brows furrowed as she thought of the other person she had met, prince Abeloni, the first in line to the throne, and only son of the king and queen. It was hard to believe that the future king of a country could be so calm and laid-back. That wasn't enough to save his life though, he was still the son of the man who took everything from her, and no amount of charming smiles would change that.

It was nearly unthinkable to Y/N that she had met one of the people she wanted to kill in the expansive Palace just under two weeks after she arrived. Not only that, but she also had the good fortune to make such a favorable impression on Lady Cascia that she had jumped all the way up the position of lady-in-waiting. Of course, with the way that the lady was Y/N doubted that the excitable girl would even remember her the following day.

It came as a great relief to Y/N when she returned to the dormitory in the evening to find that Enicia was already back, along with most of the other women. Enicia looked worn and tired as she turned and gave Y/N a weary smile, but Y/N's news couldn't wait until the next day.

"Enicia!" Y/N said urgently, hurrying over to the woman who was in the process of running a comb through her long hair. "Enicia we need to talk!" Y/N felt like she'd explode if she had to keep the events of the day to herself for a moment longer.

"Calm down Y/N," Enicia said in her usual calm and elegant tone guiding Y/N to sit on the bed next to her as the bustle of the other maids getting ready for bed faded into the background. "what is it?" She asked.

"I met a Lady Cascia today, and I also met-" Y/N began in a rush, but cut herself off abruptly when she noticed that several of the maids in the dormitory had begun not so subtlety eavesdropping on their conversation. Thinking on her feet, Y/N asked "Do you have a paper and pencil on you?"

Unlike the other maids who were common-born and most likely illiterate, both Y/N and Enicia had been taught to read and write in their time in the aristocracy. This meant that they could communicate without fear of the maids they shared their quarters with catching on to their secret agenda.

Enicia nodded in response to Y/N's question and began rummaging in her pockets for several minutes before her hands emerged with a crumpled bit of paper and a stubby pencil. She flattened the paper out against her thigh and began to write, keeping her handwriting as neat and elegant as ever. Once she was done she offered the paper to Y/N to read.

Tell me what happened.

After reading it through Y/N took the pencil and began to compose her own note, her handwriting not nearly as neat as that of her governess, before handing both the paper and the pencil back. Her note read:

I retrieved a shawl that got stuck in the branches of a tree, it belonged to a noble lady named Cascia. She was so impressed that she wanted to make me one of her ladies-in-waiting and asked her cousin for approval who just happens to be the soon-to-be crown prince Abeloni.

Enicia quickly scribbled a response, her handwriting still irritatingly perfect.

What an odd name for a prince. In any case, I think that this is wonderful news, working as her handmaiden will be quite advantageous. It will allow you to easily get closer to the Royal Family.

Y/N sighed once she read Enicia's reply, she knew that her governess was right, but that didn't mean that she had to like it.

I know... But lady Cascia is insufferable!

Y/N thought she caught the faintest trace of a smirk on Enicia's face as she read Y/N's complaints, but it vanished almost at once. 

Really, how so?

Y/N was more than happy to enlighten the older woman and took to scribbling furiously. It was several minutes before she finally passed the paper that was growing considerably crowded back.

She's spoiled, and immature, and hyper and dramatic, and emotional! I can't stand how childish she is! Look at the bruise I got from her dragging me around!

Y/N held up her wrist indignantly for the other woman to see. There was no doubt that Enicia was smirking as she wrote out her reply.

She sounds a lot like you when you were a princess, Y/N.

"WHAT?!" Y/N protested, so insulted that she responded using her words. She immediately felt the angry glares of the other maids in the room who were trying to sleep. "-sorry..." She whispered, holding a hand over her mouth. Writing down her reply Y/N passed the paper back.

No way I was ever that annoying, right?!

Enicia looked like she was struggling not to laugh as she handed over her answer with a twinkle in her eyes.

... It's probably better if I don't say anything.

"Eniciaaaa," Y/N whined in a whisper, pretending to be hurt and insulted. "way to shatter my confidence."

Enicia patted Y/N's head as she wrote some more. It took several minutes before she finally finished.

I thought you were cute, although I can't deny that your stubbornness could be irritating. Maybe you'll find this lady Cascia to have a similar charm, you said you'd do anything to avenge your family, right?

Y/N sighed, Enicia was right, revenge wasn't something for the faint of heart. Y/N said she would do whatever it took, and now the time had come to act on it.

Yeah, but I don't even know if Lady Cascia was being serious.

Enicia thought for a few moments, composing her response before she began to write. When it was done she handed it over to Y/N.

Only one way to find out, you go and pay her a visit first thing in the morning.

Y/N nodded to show that she understood before she took the now full pieces of paper and held in up to the flickering candle, by which they had both written and read, and watched as the paper curled and blackened. As it burnt, it erased any trace of their conversation.

A/N

I'm looking forward to watching the future interactions of Y/N and Lady Cascia. Enicia was right on the money when she said that the two were similar, the only difference is that Y/N got cast down from her previous privilege, while Cascia has remained in luxury.

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~