33. Sunny Day on the Sea.

The next morning Y/N swiftly donned the clothes that Lady Cascia had insisted on lending to her, a beautiful pink skirt with a matching corset and a frilly white blouse and a sunhat adorned with flowers and feathers, she slipped from her chambers and hurried away before Lady Cascia and Issi could catch her and try to doll her up with makeup and jewelry.

She had an important objective that day that didn't involve looking pretty, she was going to murder the heir to the Luccian throne. She had discussed her plan with Enicia who agreed that it was a great opportunity, she had given Y/N one of the large carving knives just in case she needed it to make sure he met an untimely end. She could feel the cold stiffness of the blade against her bosom as she hurried down the steep path to the private beach, reminding her of her purpose that day.

After several minutes of what she would consider a seriously parlous trek, she arrived on the pearly white sands beneath the cliffs atop which the palace glittered like a majestic crown. She caught sight of the young prince several paces up the beach with a rowboat and hurried to greet him. "Good morning, Crown Prince Abeloni," she called as she stopped behind him.

"Please just call me Abeloni," He corrected her as he finished the last of his work and turned around to face her, revealing that he was wearing a rather dashing outfit that resembled that of a sailor instead of his normal extravagant attire. "Especially today- Y/N you-you look..." He gaped open-mouthed as he caught sight of Y/N. In her refined sundress, she looked to him just like the princess in his romance book and he was lost for words.

"I am flattered," Y/N said, her face flushed at the way he was looking at her maybe there really was something to what Lady Cascia had said about Abeloni courting her. "Thank you for asking me to accompany you today." With her kind words, she hoped to conceal her real intentions to kill him that day.

"I should really be the one thanking you for agreeing to come with me," Abeloni said with a dewy smile as he helped Y/N into the rowboat, only after she was settled and comfortable did he sit down himself and begin rowing the boat out into the glimmering teal waters of the great Luccian bay. "So thank you, I promise that I will do my best to make this day enjoyable for you." He studied her pretty features as he continued to row them further away from shore.

Y/N was too distracted by the rocking of the boat to notice the way that he was looking at her. She kept her eyes glued on the water as her heart hammered in her chest, growing up in the mountains she had never seen such a vast or turbulent body of water in her life.

Eventually, the prince stopped rowing and just allowed the boat to be moved to and fro as he enjoyed the picturesque scenery of the bustling harbor, and mainly the woman in the boat with him. He sighed slightly, feeling a familiar giddiness wash over him in her presence.

"So, do you like to do this often, Abeloni?" Y/N asked after several minutes of silence as she swallowed her fear and turned to face the other person in the boat only to find that he was looking directly at her with his chin resting in his hand.

He jumped, nearly tipping the boat as she caught him staring at her. "Yes!" His expression quickly brightened as he struggled to contain his excitement over talking about one of his favorite activities. "Coming out into the bay is one of my favorite things to do, it gives me a feeling of what freedom is like."

"What do you mean?" Y/N asked, genuinely curious despite the fact that she was trying to work up the nerve to kill him. 

"The sound of the waves, the feeling of the sea spray, the salty smell in the breeze, it all puts me in mind of some great adventure," He stood a in a fit of great excitement, but the small boat rocked precariously from the quick movement forcing him to settle for sitting down facing the horizon. "An adventure that I'll never be able to go on, but at least I can dream. Sometimes I'll come out here and fantasize about sailing away about one of those ships for a grand adventure in unknown waters, but I've never been allowed to leave the grounds of the palace before, there's no way I'd survive on any sort of adventure."

While he had been describing his dreams to her she had decided to seize the opportunity to gain her revenge.  She slowly stood up behind him and pulled out the knife from within her corset. Please stop talking! This is making my job way harder! She felt her heart softening at his words, but she couldn't lose her resolve.

"You know, you're the only one I've told about any of this Y/N," He said as he continued to stare out over the water dreamily, oblivious that his company in the boat was presently holding a knife over his head. "Even though I haven't known you for long I just feel like I have a connection with you that is different from everyone else."

She reminded herself of all the people who had suffered because of his family, she had to avenge them, even if she didn't want the kill him, she couldn't overlook this opportunity. Just as she was about to impale him with the dagger a particularly large wave capsized the rowboat, sending them both into the bright blue waters with a splash.

"Wow! Well, that was unexpected," The young prince chuckled as his head popped up from the water and he pushed his soaking curls out of his face. His smile disappeared at once when he saw that Y/N was thrashing around in the water frantically.

Sheer terror gripped Y/N as she struggled to keep her head above the water. The salty waves buffeted her back under, increasing her panic as she got water up her nose as she tried to breathe, the knife slipped from her hand and sunk into the depths of the bay. "I-I can't swim-" she managed to hold her head out of the water long enough to say.

Abeloni lunged forward and got his arm around her, awkwardly paddling to keep them both afloat. "You're alright, I've got you," He said his heart exploding in his chest at the feeling of holding her close to him in a way that would have been completely improper in most social situations. "Shhh, you're safe I promise."

He began swimming back to shore, managing to keep both their heads above the water. After felt like an eternity the waves finally deposited the pair back on the beach soaking wet and covered with sand. "Well, that certainly was an unexpected adventure," Abeloni laughed while trying to catch his breath. He smiled as he looked down at Y/N where she lay beneath him on the wet sand.

"It-it was," she coughed, trying to rid her throat of saltwater. "Thank you... You saved my life..." She said weakly a pang in her heart as she realized that she owed her life to the very person she was plotting to kill.

"Don't mention it, I'm just glad that I finally got to help someone... I feel like people are always helping me do everything," He said his heart suddenly fluttering as he realized how he was basically laying on top of Y/N. His cheeks flushed but he couldn't bring himself to move away. He felt so light and happy despite the fact that he was soaked to the bone with salt water, as long as he was with Y/N he was happy he realized. "Y/N your arms! What happened to them?!" The warm bubble that had surrounded him suddenly shattered as the soaked fabric of Y/N's sleeves became transparent and revealed angry red burns that covered both her arms.

"Nothing!" she replied hastily, jerking away and holding her arms close to her body in an attempt to hide the marks, but it was too late he had already seen. "It was an accident a long time ago - I should go, good day Your Highness!" Y/N called over her shoulder as she took off down the beach trying to avoid more questions about her scars.

"Y/N wait!" Abeloni called desperately as he stood up and began chasing after her, not only had he just realized that it was love that he felt for her but he also yet another puzzling piece of information about her. "Please!"

A/N

Y/N has got to be the worst assassin ever

Also, I'm so sorry that I forgot to post this yesterday! Less than a week to go and I am lossing it. T~T

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~