17. Too Adequate.

Cascia! How could you do this to me?! Y/N thought as she stood in awkward silence with the Crown Prince after Lady Cascia left them alone on the terrace, staring at her feet and wishing that the ochre floor she stood on would absorb her completely so she wouldn't have to deal with her present company. I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS!

Haha, this couldn't be more perfect! Thank you Cascia, there's a reason you are my favorite cousin! Prince Abeloni thought with a self-assured smirk stretching his handsome face. Leaving me and Y/N alone overlooking the ocean at sunset, this couldn't be more perfect, with my irresistible charms and the romantic setting she's sure to be putty in my hands. Deciding to break the silence he asked her in the most charming tone he could manage, "So, are you enjoying the Ball Y/N?"

"Yes, it has been most enjoyable your Highness," Y/N said, giving another curtsy as she continued to keep her head bowed. On the inside, she felt like screaming. Why is he talking to me again?! Y/N thought angrily, out of all the people in the entire palace to want to talk to me, it has to be the son of the man who had my family killed. I wonder if a fall from this height would be enough to put me out of my misery, Y/N thought dryly as she glanced over at the stone railing separating the balcony from the cliff and ocean unimaginably far below.

"Isn't the view beautiful?" Abeloni asked with a relaxed grin as he leaned his arms against the railing and gestured for Y/N to look out with him. "The rays of the sun on the water make the ocean appear like it is liquid gold." He waxed poetic, hoping that Y/N would finally feel comfortable enough around him to open up about her past.

"It does," Y/N admitted as she glanced out at the eastern horizon where the sun was just dipping below the level line of the sea, its yellow light reflected thousands of times in the rippling waves that reached the base of the sheer cliff face that the Palace was constructed atop. Even she had to admit that the sight was beautiful.  "I've never seen it like that before, you are very imaginative your Highness."

"Why thank you," He turned to look at the H/C haired maiden only to see that she had already occupied her gaze on the stone floor of the terrace again. Aww, she's so shy she can't even look up at me, Abeloni thought, smiling to himself at her cuteness.

Maybe if I don't look at him he'll get the hint and leave me alone! Y/N thought desperately as she continued to admire the beaded hem of her skirt. The more she saw of the Crown Prince the more his charming act irked her and the less she wanted to be around him. Just as she was about to make up an excuse to leave she heard the faint sound of music beginning to play within the ballroom and froze.

Yes! Luccia is on my side tonight! Prince Abeloni thought, praising the goddess who had founded their country according to legend as he heard the sound of the dance music begin to play, he now had the perfect opportunity to continue interacting with Y/N and weasel the answers he wanted out of her. "Would you give me the honor of your first dance of the evening?" He asked as he gave her a courteous bow.

OH NO! Why have you abandoned me lady Luccia! Y/N gazed skyward, cursing everything as she tried to think of a way out of spending time with the Crown Prince. "You flatter me, but I'm only a lady-in-waiting, your Highness, it wouldn't be proper-"

"-I insist," He said, his teal eyes locking with hers, glinting with superiority. He wasn't asking anymore. Being the Crown Prince does have its perks.

"Very well," Y/N accepted his hand and let him lead her into the ballroom. Even though everything he said had been polite, she knew that he wasn't giving her a choice in the matter, merely the illusion of one. I should have jumped over the railing when I had the chance.

They walked into the center of the ballroom that was already occupied by several revolving couples. Abeloni turned to face Y/N and placed his hand on her waist while the hand that had been leading her was placed in front of them. They began to dance to the music, and Y/N felt a jolt of surprise when his footwork was much more complex than the normal step done to that sort of music. He's trying to trip me up by doing the double-step isn't he the cheeky bastard, Y/N thought as after several steps she recognized the dance and slipped into the rhythm. Luckily the double-step was one of the few dances that I actually remember.

"You and lady Cascia seem to be close even though you haven't known each other for very long," The handsome prince remarked in a pleasant tone as the couple danced across the polished ballroom floor.

"We are," Y/N said as she stared directly ahead, preferring to admire the embellished silken red, purple, and white ceremonial robes from his coronation ceremony than looking up at his handsome face. "I'm lucky that Lady Cascia has been such a kind mistress to me, Your Highness," she continued to look at his chest, refusing to tilt her head up to look into his face.

"There's no need to be so formal," he said with a light chuckle, wondering what it would take to get her to open up around him. "Hearing your Highness all day does grow tiresome on the ears, please, just call me Abeloni," he told her for a second time, hoping that establishing a more personal connection would help.

"V-very well," Y/N stammered, feeling very uncomfortable. She quickly changed the subject, "I-I hear that today is also the celebration of King and Queen's seventeenth wedding anniversary, do give them my congratulations."

"I will," Abeloni said, his charming aura faltering slightly as they continued to dance. "I will have many well-wishes to give considering that they decided to skip out on tonight's festivities in favor of spending the evening together over entertaining their guests."

"I had wondered why I hadn't seen them," Y/N responded, thinking back to the clear absence of the King and Queen that she had noticed at the ball.

They continued to dance in silence for several moments as Abeloni scrambled to think of more small talk. "Say your dancing skills are remarkable Y/N," he complimented her, surprised by her fluidity of movement.

"You flatter me too highly," Y/N stammered, bowing her head to keep the smirk from showing on her face. Proud that her previous dance training was helping her not make a fool of herself now. "Your High- I mean A-Abeloni," she corrected herself.

"No, I mean it, I'm shocked at your ability," he insisted, giving her a warm smile as they continued to dance. "Especially considering that the double-step is only taught to those in the noble cast," his smile widened as he finished his thought.

Oh no! Oh no! Y/N screamed inside her head as she realized her deadly error as he spun her around before they returned to their previous rhythm. The double-step was only taught to nobles. He's right! If I was truly a maid like I'm pretending to be there's no way I would have had this ability! I should have tripped all over myself!

"It's astonishing," He continued as though it was all the quaintest mystery, but Y/N could see the suspicion clouding his eyes. "And I confess myself very interested in how a simple maid such as yourself managed to learn it so well."

"I-I," Y/N stammered gapping like a fish, not able to come up with any quick recovery she tore herself out of his embrace and hurried away. "Excuse me, Your Highness, I must go!"

A/N

This chapter gives me serious anime vibes. 😂

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~