51. Bitter Betrayal.

Y/N couldn't shake the feeling of unease that had crept up on her after Törrsk's abrupt departure from the courtyard, something in the pit of her stomach felt wrong. Realizing that there was no use in dwelling on it anymore she left the courtyard as well.

Walking down the hallways of the palace she felt as though a great weight had been lifted from her shoulders. Not only had she moved on from the bitter revenge that had once consumed her, but she had also come clean about it to the two other people who knew her secret aims.

Once she reached Lady Cascia's quarters she heard that Abeloni had gone on to his study and decided to meet him there. She took the now-familiar path there with a jaunty skip in her step, she finally was free to enjoy the feeling of love that she had pushed away for the majority of her life.

Reaching the crown prince's study she burst through the door, filled to the brim with excitement, but stopped short when she felt the chilly atmosphere of the room. Abeloni stood with his back to her, looking out through the large window that overlooked the picturesque ocean, his chocolate curls tied by a blue ribbon at the base of his neck. "Abeloni..." She called his name uncertainly.

"Is it true?" He asked his voice broken and disbelieving. He kept his eyes on the waves rhythmically crashing against the shore fathoms below, their tumultuous movement the only thing that soothed the storm of emotions raging in his heart. "Is it true that you're Princess Y/N of Vascini?"

Her stomach dropped unpleasantly and she felt like she might pass out. Terror gripped her as she saw all the dreams of love and a happy life she had been constructing crumble around her as the prince's question hung heavy in the air. Telling the truth would destroy everything she had been dreaming of, but she couldn't bring herself to lie to Abeloni again. "... I am, but-" she tried to explain but he interrupted before she could finish.

"-And you have been plotting to assassinate my family ever since you first arrived at the Palace?" He asked sharply, clenching his fists. He kept his back to her so she couldn't see his pained expression or the glossy tears that had begun to slide down his pale cheeks.

Y/N bit her lip, she wanted to deny it but she doubted that he would believe it. "Yes, but-" she answered, feeling nauseous. She wanted to tell him that she put all of that behind her and no longer wanted to hurt his family, but before she could he cut her off with a bitter laugh.

"Ha, everything makes sense now," He spat, smiling cynically as he recalled all the paradoxes about her that had entranced him and how they all made perfect sense now. He finally knew who she was, but he couldn't have been less happy. "I was so enamored with you that I couldn't see what was right in front of me. You were just using my feeling to get close enough to assassinate my family, you never loved me did you?" He asked mockingly, already believing that he knew the answer.

Tears were pooling in Y/N's eyes as well, the fact that he wouldn't look at her made things even worse. It was like a nightmare, so awful that it felt surreal. "I do love you Abeloni I-" She cried as she reached out to him, trying to make him understand that what she felt was true.

"-Out," he ordered her, his words so cold and uncaring that Y/N felt as though they had driven a sharp dagger between her ribs and she gasped frozen where she stood. "Get out," he repeated more firmly still and she complied and ran from the office consumed by her grief.

. . .

"HOW COULD YOU HAVE DONE THIS?!" Y/N screamed in fury and pain as she approached Tôrrsk who was leaning against the stone wall only a few halls away from the crown prince's study with a malicious glint in his icy blue eyes. "YOU RUINED EVERYTHING!!" Tears poured down her face as she shoved him farther against the wall.

"No, ay saved ya. I saved ya from yar veakness," he told her, smiling widely, not even bothering to deny that he was the one who informed Abeloni of her secret identity and plot. "Now that the prynce hates ya and knows yar secret ya have to kyll hym and then ve can love each other." He explained proudly, handing her a dagger before taking her by the hand and leading her back down the hall towards Abeloni's study.

"Love you?!" She yanked her hand out of his grasp, appalled and disgusted at the thought of loving someone who had betrayed her so deeply. "Why would I EVER love you after what you've done?!"

"Ya Vyrröch vomen are, all the same, ya love easily," Tôrrsk replied with a laugh that was both mocking and condescending. "Ya vill be no different, ay vill make ya love me." He approached her and stroked her cheek with his large hand, but the gesture felt more menacing than loving. 

"I should have left you suffering as a slave!" Y/N spat as she shoved him away roughly, disgusted with his actions and disgusted that she had ever helped him. "You know nothing of love! I would sooner die than love you!" She declared resolutely.

"Vell... THEN DIE!!!" Tôrrsk growled, a manic light flashing in his frigid eyes as he lunged at her and tackled her to the ground.

She grunted as her back hit the hard stone floor, knocking the air from her lungs. As she struggled to regain her breath she tried to slash at Tôrrsk with the dagger but he grappled with her and quickly managed to take it from her. He clenched the blade in his fist and raised it but before he could stab her she reached up and held his arm at bay.

He was stronger than he looked and it took both of Y/N's hands to keep the knife where it was. This left her vulnerable and he took advantage of this by placing his free hand around her neck and choking her. She tried to say strong but the lack of air was quickly getting to her, lights dances in front of her eyes, and the blade began to slip closer to her face as she lost strength in her arms. Her heart was thumping painfully fast as she realized that she was about to die.

"GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF HER!" An angry voice roared and the sound of running feet echoed strangely in Y/N's ears as she struggled to stay conscious. Moments later Tôrrsk's weight was removed from her body and his hand from her neck. She gasped for air, blood pounding in her ears as she lay on the floor panting.

Her head jerked to the side as she heard a sickening crunch and a loud wail of pain. As her vision came back into focus she couldn't help but let out a cry. Abeloni stood in the hall accompanied by two guards. He stood frozen several paces away, pinning Tôrrsk to the wall with one hand while the other was still clenched around one of the guard's polearms that were buried deep in the Nôrric man's chest.

"Why... Did I..." Abeloni whispered, coming to his senses and looking at the slain man and blood on his clothes in horror. He had flown into a blind panic when he saw Y/N on the brink of death but now that the danger had passed he had begun trembling from head to foot as he realized he had killed him without a second thought. "If-if anyone asks, say he was trying to attack us," he tried to sound composed and authoritative as he issued his command to the two soldiers at his side.

He had to look away as he pulled the weapon out and it made sickening squelching noise that drowned out the dull thud of the corpse hitting the floor. Abeloni briefly met Y/N's eyes, looking for comfort and checking to see if she was hurt, he looked away as he remembered his reason for finding Y/N and tried to ignore the pang in his heart. "Guards arrest... The traitor."

A/N

Well, that was an emotional rollercoaster ride of a chapter, and it's only going to get crazier from here so I hope you're buckled in.

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~