11. Törrsk.

It had been a little over a week since Y/N had been made Lady Cascia's lady-in-waiting, and she was adjusting quite well. Her things had been neatly organized in the small room that had been delegated to her across from her mistress's room. She had grown closer with Lady Cascia and Issi as well, considering them to be friends if not good friends.

She normally was much more guarded and preferred not to get close to people, but something was just so likable about the two women that she couldn't help but be comfortable around them. Most of the time they spend together, they didn't even feel like a lady, a servant girl, and a secret Princess on the run, but just three young women enjoying their time together.

Just shy of a week before the ball and the practical army of tailors were putting the final touches on her gown for the upcoming celebration of the King and Queen's anniversary along with the Coronation of Prince Abeloni as the official heir to the Luccian throne.

Given that Cascia was obsessed with micromanaging the construction of her dress the tailors had begged her two handmaidens to take her on a walk so that they could finish up their work in peace. The two agreed and shortly thereafter the lady and her two handmaidens could be seen departing from her quarters and walking down the hallway arm-in-arm.

It was thanks to walks such as these that Y/N came to have a better understanding of the layout of a larger section of the palace, enough to feel confident enough to visit Enicia, although she had yet to have the time to do so.

She had gotten to know the lady and her maid well enough over the past week to decide that she would spare them from her revenge. She may have been the niece of the king, but there was only so far you could take a blood-tie before it became unsubstantial. With that in mind, Y/N had decided that her objects of revenge would only be the King, his Queen, and the soon-to-be crown prince.

Lady Cascia said at length that she had a chill from the shaded halls filled with the sea breeze so the three women changed their course through a walk around the sunny grounds. Reaching the main exit of the palace they passed under one of the dozens of arches at the front and began walking down the giant set of steps that led to the expansive square in front. Two protruding parts of the castle sat out on either side of the large square with steps leading down to it as well.

Even though Y/N had been working at Ficcioro Palace for nearly a month she was still amazed by its beauty and let her gaze wander, drinking in all its splendor. She was suddenly distracted by the sound of a large crash and turned to see that a team of four barely clothed men that had been carrying a very ornate and heavy chest that had fallen roughly to the ground when one of the men supporting it had collapsed from what Y/N assumed to be exhaustion.

"You dumb swine! On your feet!" A stocky man with greasy black hair and a hook nose, who was incredibly well dressed commanded. "Look at what you're clumsiness has done! It's chipped!" He pointed to the casket which did have a large chip missing from colliding with the stone square.

Y/N's anger flared at the sight of the poor man quivering on the ground. He was a slave, and the man throwing the fit was undoubtedly his master. Slavery was a common thing in Luccia, especially in Bocio. Even though it was just part of the social life in Luccia Y/N still found it upsetting, as slavery had never been a viable option in her colder birth country, especially when the poor souls were abused which was thankfully uncommon.

Still, with the present scene unfolding, she couldn't standby and do nothing, she couldn't watch as another person far from their home suffer. Leaving Lady Cascia's side Y/N rushed to cross the square and stood in between the slave and his master, preventing the angry man from striking.

"Out of my way girl!" The man barked, his dark face contorting in rage as his putrid breath fanned her face. "It is a master's right to discipline his slave!"

"No!" Y/N shot back, setting her jaw as she stood up straight and held her ground. "I won't let you!" The unfolding scene was beginning to draw the attention of the people passing through the square, stopping to see what would happen next.

"Insolent brat!" He growled becoming more enraged by the moment. "You have no authority to tell me what to do, you're just a woman! Now out of the way!" He ordered, his eyes flashing in such a way that it made it clear if Y/N didn't do what he said he would get violent.

Think think think, Y/N's mind was racing as she tried to think of a way to avoid conflict without surrendering the slave to the wrath of his master. Come on Y/N, when father was explaining the barbarity of the Luccian king passing a bill to improve the treatment of the slave class instead of abolishing it entirely, what did he say? She strained every bit of concentration she had trying to remember.

After a few moments, she remembered enough that she could speak up, hoping that more would come to her. "By decree of the Luccian King, all slaves are to be given proper food, shelter, and coverings," Y/N spoke confidently and assertively, although she was scrambling to throw more words together in her mind. "As well as ample rest - none of which you seem to have provided, so you might as well beat me instead because I am just as guiltless as this man who collapsed due to your foul treatment that is in direct conflict with the king's own words!" Y/N said with a level of zeal and authority that caught everyone by surprise, including herself. The whole square was silent after her outburst, the only sound Y/N could hear was the rapid rise and fall of her breaths and the pounding of her heart in her ears.

"Wow, things sure did get exciting there," the silence was broken as Lady Cascia came hurrying over to stand between Y/N and the now taken-aback man, defusing the situation with a small laugh. "Might I suggest a solution Dembocc Arllo? I'll take responsibility for both my maid and your slave, and in exchange, I'll get my father to pardon you for your violation of national law." She asked the older man with a cheery smile.

"... Fine!" He growled with a look of contempt as he stormed off, the other three slaves trailing behind him while the one who had been the cause of all the hubbub stayed hunched on the ground.

"Y/N that was so amazing what you did!!" Cascia gushed in excited amazement at the cleverness of her friend. "I never would have remembered that decree and I've spent my whole life here in the castle." She twittered.

Y/N ignored her, as her sole focus was on the slave. His skin was extremely pale and stretched taught over his thin shaking form. His hands were covered in curling black tattoos, and even though his old master was gone he remained on the ground, not even raising his head.

"It's alright, you don't need to be scared of me," Y/N said gently, her heart filling with pity for the frail man. "I promise I won't hurt you. My name's Y/N, what's yours?"

Slowly he lifted his gaze to look at her, and Y/N had to struggle not to shudder. There was nothing wrong with his face, indeed, he was quite attractive. His dark hair complemented the paleness of his face and his cold eyes, but that was just it. His face held no feeling and was as emotionless and blank as fresh snow. Y/N discomfort quickly dissipated as his frosty eyes sparked with warmth not long after connecting with hers.  "... T... Törrsk." He gave his name in a very thick accent.

A/N

Looks like a new character has appeared! What are your first impressions of  Törrsk?

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Colt.~