The Shelter

Thank you guys so much for 2K views. I never expected this book to blow up the way it did. I'm super happy that you guys enjoy it. I look forward everytime I publish to hear your thoughts.

"Where are you going? Did you find enough to eat?" Hikari's voice asks. She lean in the doorway of the small bedroom as I dump my clothes into a empty backpack.

"I'm leaving the shelter" I admit in a defeated tone. I know, deep down in my heart, she'll hate me for what I say next. Hikari hummed before asking "how come?".

I sigh. "Earlier, while I was out to eat, a progenitor from the council asked me to join him" I admit. She didn't express it but I know that deep down she was raging with anger.

"And? What did you say?" She asks.

"I said yes" I admit. Her face fell with the anger finally beginning to reveal itself. She didn't justify it with an answer though.

"I didn't have a choice either Hikari. If I said no, that bastard was going to turn me into the authorities about me hunting. It would've gotten back somehow to the shelter and then you guys would be screwed. I wouldn't do that to you or the others" I admit.

"We could've dealt with the humans. We're stronger than they are!" She screams.

"Then a fucking Civil War would've broken out between the humans and vampires. Not mention the fact that this entire shelter would be fucked by the humans and the council if they found out we started it. This place is filled to the brim with weak vampires and even weaker children. We wouldn't stand a chance Hikari." I yell. I took a deep breath as I turn fully to her.

"And you know that! But no, you are just filled with idiotic greed for death and destruction. Just like every other fucking blood sucker out there." I practically scream. I took another deep breath. "And here I thought you were different. Like maybe you had just a little bit of humanity in you from your short time with that bloodbag Joel" I snap with a quiet growl.

A sudden sharp pain stung my cheek, sending my head to the side with a big force. "Dont you ever...talk about Joel like that again" She says. Her blood red eyes were animalistic, angered. "Get the fuck out. Don't you fucking dare come back" She says.

"Gladly" I say. I threw on my backpack and quickly left the shelter. Tears stung my eyes and quickly clouded my sight. I hate myself for saying that. But it was the only way I'd be able live with myself when I had to leave.

A few days later

The sky was clouded over with angry dark gray rain clouds. I sigh, feeling my stomach begin to bubble up with nerves. Our footsteps quietly echo down the sidewalk towards the shelter. "Hey" His voice suddenly says. I turn to look at Crowley, walking along right beside me. "It'll be okay" He whispers, giving me an encouraging half smile before I felt his hand interlace in mine.

I nod, feeling a sad smile cover my lips as I turn my head to look forward. We continue to walk on silently.

It wasn't long before the terrible stench of burning gas and meat infested the air. It seemed to be coming in the direction of the shelter. My breath hitched and my legs froze.

In the direction of the shelter.

Tears began to fill my eyes as Crowley turned to look at me, asking me what's wrong. I didn't hear a word though. My mind was filled with an echoing buzz. Adrenaline pumped through me as I put two and two together.

Without a word, I began a dead sprint towards the corner and to the shelter.

Sitting there in the darkness was the shelter. Smothered in gigantic flames. My legs turn numb and I began to fall the moment I saw it. I catch myself before I fell and I quickly scramble up to keep running to the shelter.

"Hikari! Prim!" I scream as my adrenaline carried my legs on. I barely notice a small figure standing just outside the building the closer I gained. There alone in the street, it turned to look at me. I quickly found out it was Hikari's hybrid daughter, Primrose Jaeger that we call Prim.

"Oh my god" I say as I fell to my knees in front of her. I took her in my arms tightly and felt her start to sob.

"Mom-Mommy went back inside to...to help Mr. Kogane. She hasn't come back. No one came back" She spews.

Oh my god. No. No. No. My breath was stuck in my chest as I process Prim's words. I pull away and press my hands to her cheeks, helping her crimson red and light brown eyes to focus on me rather than the burning home.

"Who did this?" I ask.

"Mommy said it was the humans" She says, wiping away a fallen tear with the back of her hand. By that point, no words could be said. I only stared at the little hybrid with disbelief and genuine shock covering every feature of my face.

"Oh my god" I hear Crowley say behind me. I exhale before sparing a glance at the blaze. It looks to have been going on for a while. There was no way anyone, human or vampire, could make it out.

Hikari sighed as she rocked back and forth in her chair. Little 'Primrose' was fast asleep in her arms. I sit back in my own chair, watching the old corpse with her daughter. "I want you to promise to take care of Prim if anything happens to me, okay?" She asks.

I sigh before I quickly stood. I reach down and swiftly pick up the girl. "Go. Take her back home. I'll take care of things here" He yells. Quickly I do as he says and turn to sprint away.

I'm taking her home. Away from this destruction and death.

Away from this hellish world she was forcibly exposed to.