Hybrids

The rain outside began to patter quietly against the windows. I gently pull the covers up over the small girl lying silently.

"The last few hours must've been a lot for her huh? She fell asleep quick" A formal, gentle voice asks. I turn to where it came from, finding Horn standing there.

Next to her was Chess. She held a small platter that consisted of a sandwich, a few pieces of fruit and a small glass of blood in both her hands.

"We didn't know what kind of food she ate so..." Chess admits. I chuckle, taking the platter and glass before setting it on the table next to my bed. "Thank you" I whisper.

"So how is she? What happened?" Chess asks.

I sigh as I turn back at Prim. "I don't know what happened to her mother...or even if she's alive somewhere. All I know is that the shelter was covered in flames." I let go of a shakey breath. "It was absolutely terrible" I say.

"Who would do such a thing?" Horn asks.

"Primrose told me that it was the humans" I admit. Scowls immediately crossed their faces the moment I said it.

"Damn bastards." Chess states under her breath.

"Was it the Demon Army?" Horn asks.

"I dunno. Maybe" I answer. I look at them with a nasty scowl on my face. "Whoever it is, will pay with their lives. I promise you".

They only nod in agreement.

***

It was around midnight. The rain still poured outside. The little hybrid's body was tight and warm under the covers right next to me. I comb my fingers gently through her soft dark brown hair.

She woke up earlier just long enough to eat and drink the blood. She asked me to come lay down with her before she fell asleep again.

This time of quiet allowed me to think. About what I'm gonna do with her, why the humans would do this and many other things.

He should be back by now.

I reach down and swiftly pick up the girl. "Go. Take her back home. I'll take care of things here" He yells. Quickly I do as he says and turn to sprint away.

It's been hours and frankly my gut is filling with nerves. The genuine need to throw up. I sigh as I lean over her tiny body and press a kiss to the warmth of her forehead.

The door to the bedroom opened and I was quick to find that Crowley stood there. His uniform and hair damp from the hours out in the rain.

He shook his head, showing wordlessly that we were too late.

Sudden sorrow filled my veins as I turn to look back at Prim. She was alone now. No family was alive for her. A cold hand pressed against my hip. "How is she?" He asks. I took a deep, shakey breath before whispering, "She's been asleep ever since we got back...".

I hear Crowley sigh before quietly telling me to get up so he can take me out of the room.

He led me to his office. He sat me down on the couch and gave me a glass of blood. Tears began to stream down my cheeks. He quickly sat down before he reached forward and gently tucked my hair behind my ear, wiping my tears away gently.

"What now?" I ask. Tears fill my eyes again. "Her father died of a heart attack just before the world ended. Hikari's gone. The shelter's gone. She has no one left-" I start to spew, feeling the tears fall faster.

"She has you Leila. And me." He interrupts. He quickly pulled me into a tight hug, letting my tears fall to his chest. "We'll take care of her together. We can help her" He whispers. His hand began to comb through my hair gently. "It'll be okay.". My nerves calmed down and I felt myself relax.

"Okay" I mumble.

He eventually pushed me away, wiping my tears away with his thumb. "You hybrids need to stick together anyway" He says in a joking tone.

I chuckle, nodding. I pull away, just far enough that I was still cuddling close to him but to the point I could breathe. "Thank you Crowley" I whisper.

"Of course" he says, pressing a gentle kiss to my temple.

I wipe away the remaining tears before taking a quick drink of the blood. Somehow the sudden, gross feeling and need to throw up from earlier returned. This time with urgency.

I slap a hand over my mouth, pushing away from Crowley. I quickly got up and ran out of the office and straight to the bathroom next door.

I fell to my knees in front of the toilet and let it go.

Eventually I felt Crowley's hand pull back my dark gray curls and rub my back with his other. It consisted of blood. Whether it was mine or my dinner's, I dunno.

I just know it needed out.

Once I felt better, I scoot back. Crowley rubbed my back as I notice Chess and Horn quickly come in.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"I dunno." I sigh.

I wipe my mouth, admitting that I've never thrown up once in my life.

"Did you start? Is it your period?" Chess asks as she crouched down next to Crowley to take my hand into her own freezing one.

I shook my head. "I mean I'm supposed to be starting around this time. But I haven't." I admit.

"What do you think it is then?" Horn asks. Many thoughts cross my mind. Bad blood? An intolerance? Then I felt my final thought to be a definite answer.

"I'm pregnant"