Heartbeats & Life

I quietly sigh, pressing my palm against my stomach where it was. "Your heartbeat is stronger. I can actually hear their's now" Chess says. I hum in agreement.

"I guess a little vampire blood was all it wanted." I mumble.

"So how are you feeling?" She asks as she placed her hand gently atop my small bump next to my hand. I smile. "Much better now. I don't think I'm as scared anymore." She smiled in return, humming.

It was a genuine smile. One like Crowley has on his face more often lately.

"Do you think it'll be a boy?" She asks, pulling me out of my thoughts. I shrug before admiting "if I'm being honest, I'd rather it be a girl. One Crowley is enough for me" referring to the corpse himself.

And I believe a daughter seems more fitting for the tough, old knight. Its a comforting thought to see him with a baby girl. I know deep down he would be wrapped around her little finger so quick.

2 quiet knocks rapped on the door before a certain corpse walked in with a little hybrid girl on his shoulders. "Good morning Aunt Leila" She says with a laugh.

"Morning" I say. The corpse was smiling. One that mirrors Chess' from earlier.

He gently pulls away, reaching up to wipe away a line of blood that ran down from my lips. He smiles as he licks it off his thumb.

I feel a smile somehow tingle my lips the moment I felt his cold hands on my stomach.

I watch as the small lamp on the nightstand illuminates his awestruck features. My fingers subconsciously card through his hair, ultimately gaining his attention. He quietly sighed, baring a stunning smile that reveals his pearly white fangs.

If I didn't know any better, I'd mistake him for a human with genuine emotion.

"I can hear their heartbeat" He whispers.

I chuckle. "Oh yeah?" I ask as I ran my fingers through his hair again. He hummed as he pressed his ear to my stomach. He started to gently tap a steady, quick rhythm into my skin. One that resembles a heartbeat.

A calm feeling began to wash over me the more he tapped.

I finally began to feel tired. Full. Happy for the first time in a while.

I quietly sigh just as Crowley sat up. He pushed up the bed to where he was hovering just above me. Our faces were inches apart. He sat there in silence, staring his soft, dark crimson eyes into mine.

"What?" I laugh.

"You're beautiful" He whispers. I feel blush grow across my face. He leaned down and quickly met my lips in an open mouth kiss.

"Thirsty?" I hear him say, bringing me out of my thoughts from last night. I look up, meeting his softened crimson eyes. The same ones from last night.

I notice Prim wasn't on his shoulders anymore and realize she was now talking to Chess. I hum a quiet yes.

He offered a glass of a dark liquid that was nearly filled to the brim with a mouthwatering fragrance. I was quick to start drinking it.

The thick drink tasted pleasurable to the point it was almost overwhelming. I began to feel like I could never get enough to be satisfied the more I drank.

I felt numb. Like no pain, physical or mental could invade my life at this moment.

Through my content thoughts and pleasure clouded mind, I realized that I had to pace myself no matter how delicious it tasted.

I could end up throwing this up too.

The room eventually grew in silence as Chess and Prim began to play a game of chess with Crowley helping the little hybrid to win.

I watch, eventually finishing off my glass.

"You up for a walk today?" He asks as soon as he noticed I was finished. I hum a quiet yes as I set the glass down gently on the coffee table.

Ever since I started to feel strong enough to do everything myself, he and I have walked around the area to build up and keep my lost strength almost every morning.

"Ooo! Can I go with you Aunt Leila?" I hear Prim ask.

I chuckle. "Yeah. You can come with us".

Crowley stood behind the little hybrid and reached over under her arms. Before I knew it, she was thrown onto the corpse's shoulders the way she was when she came in. The little girl laughed. It's contagious sound make me smile.

I watch as he carried her out of the room with a jump in his step, making her flop around on his shoulders.

Chess stood quickly to assist me as I attempted to stand. She helped me to change from my nightgown and escorted me to where Prim and Crowley stood waiting.

"Ready?" He asks as soon as he turned to face me. A gentle smile was on his face. I nod before he offered his hand. I gently took it and he quickly set off on our usual route.

The world around us was quiet as we walked along. It felt peaceful. Safe. Calm.

This was normal life now. For those with a heartbeat and those without. It's almost like we're a normal family on a morning stroll.

The way I've wanted for my 2 centuries of life.

I look over at Crowley, finding that he had a small grin on his lips. A genuinely happy one.

Like his heart hasn't lost its beat 800 years ago.