Story 18: Hanging Out

A boy is sitting in his room playing video games when he hears someone knocking on the door.

"Just a second!" The boy calls out.

After 5 minutes he pauses the game and walks to the door.

"Who is it?" The boy asks.

"A friend, Alexander. Can I come in?"

Alex opens the door and sees a Middle-Eastern man standing in front of him. The man is wearing jeans and a shirt.

"Don't be afraid! I just want to hang out with you."

"Who are you and how do you know my name?"

"Like I said before, Alex. I am a friend. Do you care to let me in."

"I am not entirely sure."

"That's okay. We can talk here if you want to."

"Who are you?"

"I am Jesus, Alex."

Alex raises an eyebrow in confusion.

"Umm riiiggghhht," Alex says.

"You don't believe me," Jesus says.

"I don't know what this is but please leave."

"If that is what you want, okay. But I just want to let you know how much I love you."

"How? Oh right because you are "Jesus!" Don't make me laugh! Why would Jesus want to spend time with me?!"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Wouldn't you be off healing and preaching to people, not hanging around with lazy people like me?"

"I have time for everyone."

Alex thinks for a moment.

"So, Jesus? You really want to come in and hang out with me?"

"Absolutely!"

Alex rolls his eyes in disbelief.

"Okay but don't expect me to myself up to you!"

"Sounds fine to me."

Jesus enters the room and Alex hands him a game controller.

"What are you playing?" Jesus asks.

"Halo."

"Sounds fun."

Alex resumes the game and Jesus joins in. Jesus purposely lets Alex defeat him every time. After 10 games, Alex pauses it.

"That was fun!"

"So why are you here, Jesus?"

Jesus looks at him, puzzled.

"I have told you before why. You still don't believe me?"

"I just find it hard to believe that Jesus Christ, the supposed Son of God would want to hang out with me of all people. Why aren't you at a church?"

"Church isn't limited to a place, Alex. I am wherever people need me to be."

"And what makes you think that I need you? I don't even believe in Jesus!"

"I understand and I hope that you know that I love you so much!"

"I don't need your love or anyone's love for that matter! I have my video games and that is enough for me!"

Jesus gets up from the floor.

"If that is what you want, okay then."

He begins walking to the door.

"Wait! You don't have to leave!"

"Why not? You said it yourself that you only needed your video games. You don't need anyone else, right? So I am giving you what you want because I love you."

Jesus opens the door and leaves. Alex is about to run after him but he shrugs his shoulders and goes back to playing his video games.

"I don't need him!" Alex tells himself.

Alex keeps playing. After a while he finally turns his video game off and thinks about what Jesus said to him.

"I don't know why he wants me! I have no goals for my life and I have done nothing to earn his love!" He tells himself.

"It's not about what you deserve, Alex. It's about love!"

Alex turns around and sees Jesus standing at the door.

"May I come in?"

"Umm sure."

Jesus enters the room.

"I am sorry for being rude to you."

"I hold no offense against you, Alex."

"Why do you care about me so much? What part of me is worth caring about?"

Jesus smiles.

"Everything, Alex! I wish you could see yourself the way I do!"

"And how do you see me exactly, Jesus?" Alex asks.

"You may not see it but there is so much love that I have for you! Not because of what you have done but just for you alone! I wish you would accept me and realize that!"

"I just find that hard to believe! Also why do I need you?"

Jesus points to the video game console.

"What does that do for you?"

"It entertains me?"

"Is there anything else that it can do for you?"

"Well it can- uh- What's your point?"

"That can entertain you but that is the only function that it has! It cannot love you or give you hope like me! It's temporary!"

Alex thinks for a moment.

"Perhaps you are right."

"So why do you love this more than people? What has it really done for you?"

"Are you judging me for playing video games?"

"No! I just want you to know how much I love you!"

"Well I don't care, "Jesus!"" Alex yells.

"Okay but I still love you. That is why I am leaving you alone. I am sorry that you don't love me but I just wanted you to know the truth. Just know that I am here for you if you want me."

Jesus walks out of the door and closes it.