Story 9: The Homeless Man

A middle-aged man sits against the wall outside of a store. He has blankets beneath him and plastic bags surrounding him. He sits and looks around as people walk by. One man who walks by hands him a bag of chips.

"Thank you, kind sir," he says.

He is about to eat a chip when he notices a little boy sitting and watching him. He walks over to the child and gives him the bag. He limps back to his area and sits back down.

"Hi sir, how are you doing?"

The man looks up and sees a group of boys looking down at him.

"Why I am doing fine. Thank you for asking."

The man talks to them for quite a while. Finally, they wave goodbye. The old man turns around and noticed that one of his bags is missing.

"Oh well. They probably need it more than me."

Later that night, a rain storm covers the city. The man sets up a cardboard box to shelter him from the storm but the storm produces a strong wind that blows the cardboard box away. The man is left there wet and freezing.

The next day, the old man lies on the ground.

"God, just end me, please. Let me be with my wife," he cries out.

He begins to slowly close his eyes. Suddenly he hears footsteps walking very close to him. He turns and looks up to find a middle aged-looking man staring at him with sorrow. The man carefully grabs his shoulders and helps him sit back up. He grabs a bottle of water and opens it for the man. The old man gulps it down.

"Who are you?" The old man asks

"A friend," the man says, smiling.

"Thank you. I feel so cold and sick. I don't feel like I have any life left in me."

"That is not true, Tony. You still have a purpose to fulfill."

"Why can't my suffering just end?"

"Life is painful but He brings good out of the suffering."

"I am trying to be positive but I don't know if I can do it anymore."

"It's alright to not have everything together. He is still with you."

The man hugs Tony and gets up.

"Do you believe in him?"

"Of course."

"Then you are free."

Suddenly the man starts to rapidly feel better. The feeling of sickness leaves his body and wounds heal instantly. His legs no longer feel broken he feels strength coming back to him.

"I-I feel healed."

He bolts up from the ground and begins dancing around in joy. He runs around the city laughing and cheering. He praises God for healing him and begins to run further into the city, telling others about what happened to him.