Story 11: The Serial Killer

A man sprints out of a house in the dark with a knife in his hand. His hands are covered in blood. He hears screaming behind him but ignores it. He climbs a fence and begins to sprint.

"Are you alright?" A voice asks.

The man stops in his tracks and turns around. He sees another man with a goatee staring at him. The man pulls out a knife and points it at him.

"Please don't talk to me. I don't want to hurt you."

"You won't hurt me, John."

John is stunned and freezes. The man with the goatee approaches him.

"Ho-How do you know my name? Are you a cop?"

"No I am not a cop. I am just someone who cares about you."

Police sirens begin to go off in the background.

"Well I have to get going."

"What's the rush? If you are willing let's just sit and talk.

"About what?"

"Whatever you want."

John thinks for a moment and sits down.

"You look scared, John. There is nothing to be afraid of."

"I know that."

"So you don't feel it?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You don't have to hide from me, John."

"What are you talking about?"

John holds onto his knife tightly and prepares to swing. The man slowly takes the knife from his hand.

"You don't have to kill me. I won't turn you in."

"How can I be so sure? I don't even know you."

"But I know you, John and I love you. I died so that you didn't have to live in such wicked ways but follow something greater than yourself."

"Who are you?" John asks, confused.

"Do you know who Jesus is?"

"Not really. Just that he is some guy who claimed to be the Son of God."

"Not claimed. I am the Son of God."

"You mean you-you're him?"

"I am, John. And I love you very much."

John is awestruck and speechless. A feeling of remorse suddenly hits him for the first time in his life. He falls to his knees and weeps.

"How? How can you love me? I have hurt so many people. I have done so many bad things. How can you possibly love me? I don't deserve your love!"

"No one in this world does but I still love them and I still love you. That's why I am not giving up on you. This doing is of your own free will. However, it does not define you as a person. Sin has ruled your life for too long. I am offering to help you get rid of it and replace it with something far greater."

"There is no redemption for me. I don't deserve mercy."

"This isn't mercy. This is grace. Grace was given to you when I died for everyone's sins. Now you have the chance to accept it."

Jesus walks away and John isn't sure what to do. A police officer jumps on him and tackles him to the ground. He cuffs him and puts him in jail. John sits and thinks about what Jesus told him. One day, his door cell opens. A guard walks in.

"You have a visitor."

"A visitor?"

Jesus walks in and stares at the man with a sympathetic look in his eyes. He pulls out a chair and sits at a table in the center of the room.

"What do you want now?"

"You have been led down an evil path. But now you have a chance to change it. But I cannot force you."

"How can I change?"

"You don't have to do it alone. Let my Father guide your actions and thoughts."

"Do you really believe I can change, Jesus?"

"I do."

Jesus gets up from the seat and knocks on the door. A guard opens the door and lets him out. John sits on his bed and stares at the wall.