Story 3: The Bridge

A girl stands at the edge of a bridge rail. She looks down at the river below.

"It's so easy. Just jump," she thinks.

She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. She begins to takes one foot off the railing and starts leaning forward. She feels something on her shoulder. She looks back and sees a man.

"Are you alright?" The man asks.

"Who are you?" The girl asks.

"Don't be afraid. I just want to help you."

"Who are you?"

"Someone who loves you more than you can possibly imagine."

"Yeah right. You don't even know who I am?"

"Why should that matter? You are still my neighbor and we are commanded to love our neighbors."

"Well I haven't found much love recently."

"Maybe you are looking in the wrong places."

"It doesn't matter! Why should anyone love me?! I am a mess!"

"I know but I still love you anyways."

"How could you love me? A mess like me?"

"Because I know you, Emily."

Emily is speechless.

"How do you know my name?"

"Because I was there when you were born, Emily. You were knitted in your mother's womb with my Father's hands. With my hands! You are fearfully and wonderfully made in His image."

Emily looks down towards the man's hands and sees two holes in the center of his palms. She puts her hand to her mouth in shock.

"I-I- can't believe it. You are really him!"

"I am and I want to ask you a question, Emily.

Emily stands there stunned.

"Why do you want to end your life?"

Emily thinks for a moment.

"Because there is no point to living anymore!"

Jesus sighs.

"My child, life is precious and God has given it to us as a gift. I know that you have been suffering but you should know that when you are in pain so is God. He suffers with you. It breaks my heart to see you like this."

Emily looks at the river.

"So what do you suggest?"

Jesus holds out his hand.

"I won't force you to follow me but I am offering you a chance to follow something greater than what this world can offer."

Emily looks back down at the river below and then back at Jesus. She steps over the railing and runs to Jesus' hand. Emily wraps her arms around Jesus and hugs him tightly.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??!! I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR YOU ALL MY LIFE!!!"

"I am always here for you, Emily. Just have faith in me and I will work on you."