wipe away those tears of blood again

Trigger warnings: mentions and (brief) descriptions of past verbal and physical abuse (in flashbacks but I don't know how to describe otherwise), self deprecation

I don't claim that any of this is accurate as I luckily have never had to encounter any of these behaviours or know someone who had (my knowledge is based on internet sources and other stuff I read)

---

I met Mikey on accident. Really, it was like in these shitty romcoms where we just ran into each other. He had been blocking the bookshelf with my favourite series and by the time I had worked up the courage to ask him to move, he stumbled over his words. It surely was because I had startled him out of his mind. But somehow we started talking. And then, Mikey invited me for a coffee. Because he didn't want the conversation to end, he claimed.

Panicked, I had run away but luckily, he was there the next week, waiting at the book shop and apologized. To my surprise, he initiated another conversation instead of getting mad at me for turning him down.

This went on for a few weeks. We 'accidentally' were at the shop at the same time and I felt myself slowly looking forward to it. Which was an accomplishment as I refused to leave the house for groceries most of the time.

Mikey was cute and friendly and oh too easy to fall for. And I had promised myself to never fall again for someone. So, I once again took my distance as I recognised the feelings that were bubbling in my stomach whenever I was close to Mikey. There was no way that I would trust these feelings again.

I didn't even notice how badly I had hurt Mikey with this. Until, I came to the shop the first time in two weeks and saw him curled up sitting on the small sofa. He looked miserable, evidently not reading the book in his hands.

At the sight, I felt so guilty. Was it really me who had caused this? So I walked up to him and placed a hesitant hand on his shoulder. "Mikey? Are you okay?"

"Y/N!" Mikey jumped up from his seat and for a split second I thought he would punch me for ignoring him.

I flinched violently but he only went for a hug that I accepted stiffly. My mind was racing as his hands gripped the back of my shirt. It didn't hurt though.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," he apologized and let go of me immediately as he saw my distress, "I just missed you and thought you didn't want to see me anymore and that I did something wrong to anger you..."

Wait, he thought I was angry? If anyone had the right to be, it was Mikey! I had left him and just showed again how I couldn't do anything right. Damn, I liked him and now he hated me.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel this way. I can make it up to you? We can go for that coffee?" I offered quickly, mainly to regain his approval. Maybe this way he would not hate me. Or at least would give me a chance to show that I was... Yeah, what? It wasn't like I could offer anything.

Apparently, it worked as his whole face lit up. "I would love that! There is a café right across the street if you want to go now?"

I nodded, still nervous about his disapproval or worse disappointment he had to feel towards me.

As we walked across the street, Mikey took my hand hesitantly but tightened his grip on it as I didn't move away. His hands were warm and a bit calloused against mine. It was strangely reassuring but I had learned to not trust this feeling. Still, I couldn't stop myself from enjoying it.

Mikey was a surprisingly chatty person once he was comfortable as I learned now with a cup of hot chocolate in hand and a piece of cake in front of him. It looked delicious but I didn't dare to order one myself as I didn't want Mikey to think that I wasn't watching my weight. I was too fat anyway.