little kids

Happy that it was finally Friday but pissed off that I only got to leave now two hours later than usual, I decided to go to the park and maybe read there for a while to relax. I got home and quickly changed in a hoodie because it was September and slowly started to get colder.

I walked on the path, my book under my arm and took an empty bench near the playground. There were some kids playing around, laughing cutely. My mind was too occupied to start reading so I watched the kids for awhile being remembered of my nephew I would see next week. He was an absolute sweetheart and well behaved thanks to my brother and sister in law being good parents. I admired them for it and hoped that I would be a great parent as well one day.

There was this one girl, she couldn't be older than two or three, who climbed really high on that net-like play-thing. As I saw her getting farther up I grew worried and got to my feet to walk over to catch her if needed. Where were her parents? I looked around but couldn't notice anyone who had an eye on her.

Now I stood directly next to the climbing construction and hoped that the girl wouldn't fall. Just now I thought that her tiny arms didn't reach high enough for the next rope but her grip was already too loose. She screamed helplessly as she noticed her mistake. Almost like in slow motion I saw her losing her balance so I dived out to catch her before she could hit the hard ground.

Luckily the small girl landed in my arms unharmed. She was however horrified of the accident and started sobbing.

"Sh, honey, it's okay" I cooed, letting her down and kneeling in front of her.

She clamped her tiny arms around my neck with more force I would have expected for such a small child. She really got quite frightened.

I rubbed her back soothingly, still looking around for someone who seemed like being in charge for this girl.

"I-I want Uncle Mikeyyy!" she sobbed out against my shirt.

"Sh, sh, honey. Calm down a bit and then tell me where we can find your uncle" I suggested to her with a soothing voice, in hopes of distracting her from crying.

"Bandit? Bandit, honey, where are you?" I heard a male voice shout. The girl looked up at that and stopped sobbing, only sniffled.

She let go of me right as a tall, fairly skinny man with blond hair and sunglasses came into view. So I guessed this was 'Uncle Mikey' as she threw herself onto him.

The man bent down immediately and scooped the girl, Bandit, up. As he saw her tear streaked eyes he turned to me, demanding answers.

"Bandit what happened?" He asked her in a calm voice, watching her carefully, probably looking for injuries like I did earlier.

"Fell down the play-thingy and the nice lady catched me" Bandit mumbled into his jacket. He rubbed her back, his gaze immediately softening and turning to a thankful one.

By now I had gotten up from my spot on the ground along with the man who held Bandit tight to him.

"Thank you for saving my niece. God, I had to take this call and asked the man over there to have an eye on Bandit and I swear she was sitting at the ground when I left! Gee will kill me when he hears about this!" The man rambled, while rubbing subconsciously the back of his niece. As he talked he pointed to a man engrossed in his phone and gave me a guilty look.

I had the feeling that he was only voicing his thoughts, more to himself than me but I answered anyway. "The gentleman over there probably wasn't the best choice, but hey, I was there and catched her in time, so everything's alright. I'm assuming you're 'Uncle Mikey'?"  I questioned.