he's a fan

"ARE YOU READY FOR THIS NEW JERSEY?" I shouted into my microphone. I was in the middle of my concert and just introduced our most famous and fan-loved song. Our guitarists strummed their first chords and while I waited for my lines to begin my gaze shifted through the crowd.

In the middle, two boys about my age, give or take two years, caught my eye, probably because one of them had a head full of curly long hair and was pretty tall while his friend seemed slightly out of place. It wasn't like he didn't enjoy himself but something about him told me that he wasn't exactly happy with big crowds. His eyes behind the glasses darted between me on the stage singing my song and his friend who was dancing around and trying to make him dance too. Once or twice it actually worked.

Something about him drew me in. The whole concert through, I kept glancing at the two boys and made sure that they were alright. The cute one was pretty skinny and could have been shoved away easily. Luckily, his friend had a good grip on him whenever someone got rough.

I even caught myself putting on a show more than usual, as if I wanted to impress the quiet boy on a rock concert. Weird.

Though, I made him laugh a couple of times while his friend nudged him and seemed to tease him about something. He proceeded to hide his face in his hands and stared at the bassist instead.

The last note rang through the venue as the fans cheered one last time at us and we eventually made our way backstage.

Still full of adrenaline, I jumped in the dressing room while my bassist laughed. "Found someone in the crowd?" He asked and winked at me.

I stopped. "Why would think that?"

The lead guitarist huffed. "Come on, we saw that you were staring at someone and from your antics up there it was someone cute," She said.

"Fine. There was this cute guy with his friend and-" I started but got interrupted by a pull on my arm.

Jenna, the guitarist, dragged me out to the entrance of the building. "Then, we'll go and find your Cutie so you can get his number."

Recently, she had become determined to pimp up my love life. Shit, why did I have to mention the boy? Now, Jenna wouldn't shut up until I was married and had two kids. Friends are annoying sometimes.

"Can you slow down a minute? You know that it's pretty creepy when I just go up to him and ask for his number with you hovering behind me?" I tried to stop her.

She only laughed. "Don't be such a coward. That boy went to our concert." Jenna said that as if that was the explanation for everything.

"And how do you know that he is still around? He could be home already." By now, we had reached our bus and our fans were beginning to notice us.

I cursed under my breath because I hadn't even got to shower because that maniac had to drag me out right away. But because I loved my fans and deep down somewhere loved Jenna, I put on a smile and waved at the crowd that formed around us.

"Get the boys here so we don't suffer alone," I hissed jokingly at Jenna before taking the first few pictures and making small talk.

We were preoccupied for quite some time and I started to enjoy myself again. I really loved to talk to our fans and hear their stories; it made me believe that we truly could change something.

After an hour or so, the crowd began to dissolve, given the fact that it was getting really late. Jenna and Chris (the bassist who ratted me out) looked at me questioningly. I shook my head, telling them that the cute boy hadn't been under the fans. It was possible that his friend had dragged him along after all. And he didn't even like us, we were not exactly mainstream music.