Suddenly Roommates

Recently, I had moved into this house and I guess it always had a weird flair. But it was relatively cheap and as a 24-year-old with your first real job you took anything you could get.

Besides, it was a really beautiful house, the only problem were the stories around it. But my only problem was most likely that I had let theses stories scare me what was kind of disappointing.

The neighbours were almost entirely old people that had nothing better to do then talk and as a well mannered person, I went around and introduced myself to them. One woman told me about a boy that had lived together with friends in my house and had disappeared. Another one explained to me some obscure stuff she heard from next door like shutting doors but the house had been empty before I had moved in.

So basically all the stuff you wanted to know about the place you wanted to feel comfortable and at home in. Irony, woo.

At the moment I was in the kitchen, preparing myself a late dinner and ignoring the feeling of being watched. Damn old people who actually creeped me out with their rumours.

To distract myself, I went to turn on the radio. On the way there, I bumped into the pan on the stove. I reached out to catch it but somehow it balanced back on itself. Strange.

Music filled the kitchen and I immediately relaxed, humming and dancing along a bit. I could have sworn that I felt a gush of wind around my waist, almost like something had bumped into me but it was probably only my imagination.

These things had occurred for the last days sometimes. I had already called someone to look if there was a broken window creating the blows of air. Though, they were taking their time to answer me.

Sighing, I took my plate with me in the living room and fell on the sofa. I looked around for my book and saw it directly in front of me on the table. My bookmark was waving slightly. "Weird" I muttered. I could have sworn that I had put it on the corner of the table.

Suddenly the lights went out and I screamed, genuinely terrified and really believing for the first time that my house was haunted. I sat in the dark for a while, too shocked to really think of anything else. Slowly I reached for my phone and turned on the spotlight.

I got up and tried to switch on the lights again. It didn't work so I lighted a candle that I had put on the table originally only because I thought it would look cute. Did it turn colder in here?

"What is happening?" I whispered to myself.

"Please don't flip out" a strange voice whispered back. Of course this effectively scared the living shit out of me.

To my embarrassment I had to admit that I only whimpered and looked for the voice.

And then I truly thought that I was turning crazy. Right in front of me was a silhouette hovering in the air. It had the form of a person but was transparent and blurred at the outlines. Apart from that it was a pretty average boy, hardly more than skin and bones, taller than me and with brown hair that fell in his eyes.

"Oh God" I stuttered.

The boy chuckled. "I said that you shouldn't flip out."

"I am so going to call a therapist." I commented to myself, still not believing what I was seeing.

The figure crossed his arms. "Hey! I can hear you, you know. Originally, I wanted to compliment you on your bravery to move in here and welcome you but I guess I can forget that."

"What do you mean by that?" The rational part of my brain was screaming at me for actually interacting with the ghost or whatever it was. But the bigger part decided that we could solve this problem later and first concentrate on the situation at hand.